Default Firewall prevents internet access

Hello. I uninstalled Mcafee Internet Security Suite and replaced it with AVG 7.5 free edition and Zone Alarm firewall 6.5. When I tried to connect to the internet, it got to the point where it was about to connect – the point where it says Registering the Computer on the Network - and then the computer turned itself off and restarted. In order to get an error message I turned off the function that ensures a restart when the system fails and the message said that there had been a page fault in a non-paged area. I then replaced Zone Alarm with Kerio Personal Firewall and got a similar blue screen error message. When I tried Sygate Personal Firewall I was allowed to connect to the internet but could access no web pages. I then did a System Recovery and for a day, using AVG and Zone Alarm, I could access the internet without problems. Then there was a Windows Update and when I restarted the computer after that, the old problem had returned. I did a system restore to before the update but that didn’t solve it. I replaced the modem to see if that was the problem but it wasn’t. In case the problem was AVG, I tried a combination of Avast anti-virus and Kerio Personal Firewall, but that didn’t work either. I should point out that I can connect to the internet perfectly if using Windows Firewall. I’ve done virus scans with both Mcafee and AVG and spyware scans with Ad-aware, Spybot, and AVG anti-spyware and found nothing. I am using Wanadoo dial-up, Windows XP SP2, Internet Explorer 7. It’s a Philips MT1000 PC, Pentium 4, 2.93GHz, 512MB RAM. I’m baffled. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you want to use Zone Alarm,turn off Windows Firewall and configure Zone Alarm to allow IE access outbound permenently.Also configure AVG update and real time access to your comp in Zone Alarm.I use Zone Alarm and CA Anti-Virus on mine and no problems as of yet

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure I had ZA configured to allow internet access. I had ticks in the Access/Trusted and Access/Internet columns for Internet Explorer, but it still wouldn't work. I know other people have had problems with this version of ZA, so is it possible there's some innate incompatibility between ZA and my system, and that when I uninstalled ZA to try some other firewalls, the incompatible bits were left behind and prevented the other firewalls from working? Or am I talking nonsense?

See if the link below is helpful Luzhin

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...try=US&lang=en
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Thanks for the link. According to the information provided there, I should be having no problems whatsoever. And yet I am ... I suppose what I was wondering was whether there might not be some slight bugginess in ZA 6.5 which allows it to work perfectly well for most people but causes problems on a quirky minority of machines. If my problem isn't caused by ZA then I've no idea what it's caused by. As I see it, my only options are to put up with Windows Firewall, which although not very good has the decided benefit of allowing me to connect to the internet, or to do another System Recovery, install a firewall that isn't ZA, and see if that makes any difference. I am beginning to experience intense pangs of nostalgia for my ZX Spectrum.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

It sounds like a Windows problem.
    Uninstall the last patch that cause the problem. It can be found in the Add/Remove Programs part of the control panel. Make sure the Show Updates box it ticked.
    Also
    Have you done a System File Check? Click Start > Run and type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes and there is a space between sfc and /)
    Have you XP disk handy.
    If this fails then a Repair installation might be the go.
    Boot up wiht the XP installation disk and go on as if you are doing a new install. Before you do there is an option to do a repair install. (Option R)
    Be careful as there is also another option R that opens the recovery Consul. You DO NOT want that. You applications and data will stay intact but still do a backup.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Hi

I did do a system restore back to before the offending update, which would have had the effect of uninstalling it, wouldn't it? Or would it? The update, by the way, was MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security update (KB927978).

Is it possible for a System File check to go horribly wrong? What does it do - just check the system files are working properly and, if they're not, fix them?

I don't have an XP installation disc. The only discs I have are three recovery discs I made when I first got the computer, and which I use whenever I do a system recovery. Do they have the same function as an installation disc?

Thanks for your help.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Uninstalling the patch will just return the system to the pre patch state. You can always re-install it if by removing it does not solve the problem.
    Start up in Safe Mode and see if it works ok. If it does then the problem would most probably be with a driver.
    While is safe mode you can also do a System File Check (SFC) All this dos is check Windows for corrupt or missing files. If found it prompts for the Installation Disk or in your case the setup files should be in the Windows/i386 folder.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I did a System File check, which found no problems.

I then started the computer in Safe Mode (I chose Safe Mode with Networking) but was unable to connect to the internet - not because of the usual firewall problem, but because my internet connection seemed to have disappeared. I looked in Network Connections and my usual, dial-up connection was absent. Is this usual in Safe Mode? Was I supposed to somehow set up the connection again?