Default Microsoft Update Problems

Recently I updated my laptop with critical updates for Windows XP Home Edition, including IE7 & Office 2003, I logged onto the Microsoft Update page and got a message informing me that Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered on your computer.

Then I was given two options:-

1) Register reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
    2) Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem.

First I tried to register/reinstall the files, but this did not work, so I tried the other option, but could not find any helpful information.

I do have a piece of backup software that takes an image of my hard drive so I did roll back to before I installed the updates, and was able to access the page ok.

So I tried again, but once more after installing the updates it did the same thing.

I do have a couple of spyware programs on my laptop as well as Zone Alarm Security Centre, but I also run these on my desktop with no problems so could not understand what was happening.

I checked all my settings were the same as my desktop, they were, and in total frustration I re-installed my operating system.

Now I have only got as far as installing Windows, my Internet Security Suite (I was very careful that nothing went wrong when updating windows and that there was no conflict with my firewall, I got as far as installing IE7 but some updates failed, leaving the yellow shield my task bar which will not go away, I click on the shield and chose custom install and I saw
    Security update for Flash Player (K8923789)
    Security update for Microsoft .Net framework, Ver 2 (KB917283)
    Security UPdate fior Microsoft .Net framework Ver2 (KB922770)

Everything appears to install ok, but when I reboot the shield comes back, and when I try and log onto Microsoft Update page I am back at square one.

Any advice/help you can offer would be greatly appreciated

cullin
    [/i]

cdm

Try to re-register the MSXML3.DLL file.

Click Start - Run - type regsvr32 MSXML3.DLL
    Press ok
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If cdm's solution doesn't work, I sugest you uninstall IE7 and leave it uninstalled for a couple of months till they get the bugs out.