Thread: Page File????

Default Page File????

I have looked through the tutorials and have not found anything about the page file. If I missed something there...Please feel free to point me in that direction?

Why does my computer need to use the hard drive for memory when I have 1 GB of physical memory installed with the Available physical memory at 656.45 MB?

Would setting the allocated hard drive space for Page file usage to 0 improve the performance of my computer?

Hi Nicknamed,

When you are running several programs your avaliable RAM will be use up fairly easily. If you sent the Page File size to zero I expect you will find you will not be able to open that extra program when you want too.

You have 1G of RAM installed but there is only 656MB avaliable. I expect that your video card might share your existing RAM making less avaliable.

I have 760 MB of RAM and the Page file is set to 'System Managed Size' And I hav'nt experienced any problems.

To set the Page File Size:

Start > All Programs > Control Panel > System Properties > Performance > Settings > select Advanced Tab > Virtual Memory > Change > select "System Managed Size.

If you want more details you could also have a look at these articles:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

Reguards,

Skygel.
    System Setup:
    XP Home (Service Pack 2)
    1800Mhz - P4(R)
    40G - ROM
    760MB - RAM
    AVG antivirus

The links you provided, rendered some interesting reading. Thank you for that Skygel.

I too expect that the video card is sharing some of my existing RAM making less available. (In fact Sandra lite tells me that is the situation.)

I appear to have ample physical memory. I wonder how many applications I would need to have open at one time to use it up?

Currently I have Firefox opened twice, (One of them with this site) Thunderbird, Open Office, System information, and Task Manager all opened at the same time. And still have 574.25 MB of Available Physical Memory. The Page File Usage increased to 317 MB.

I am not complaining....Everything is working fine. I am just attempting to understand it better.

I am told that a Graphic Adapter Card would be an improvement, but given the above stats I am unable to see how it would improve anything in terms of memory. Being as it appears that I will never use all of it anyway.

Is that correct?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

A page file is virtual memory.
    Having a page file does not affect the running of the system, in fact it helps it cope.
    Having the file set so Windows manages it will allow Windows to adjust it's size based on how much free space is on a hard drive. Windows does a good job at doing just that.
    Although 1 gig sounds large just press the ctrl alt del keys, look under the Performance tab and see how much of your 1 gig is being gobbled up before you open any applications.
    A quick explanation on how it works. If physical memory runs short Windows moves files to the Page File (Virtual memory) It may swap stuff back and forth if needed allowing applications to run better.
    By the way Mac's OS use a swap file and Linux installations have a swap partition that do the same job.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks whoozhe,

I think I understand and have done everything in your post other than the quoted section below
    Quote Originally Posted by whoozhe
    A quick explanation on how it works. If physical memory runs short Windows moves files to the Page File (Virtual memory) It may swap stuff back and forth if needed allowing applications to run better.
    What I can not get my head around is: How can the physical memory run short? When I have over 512 MB of RAM that System Information tells me I never use, regardless of how many applications I have running at one time.

Also Sandra lite warns me that my: System/video shared memory greatly reduces performance, and advises me to use an external video card.

This layman is unable to understand why the additional (apparently) unused Ram would not take care of that?

Can I please have some help with this?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If you want a visual on how much RAM your using from moment to moment, download and install RAM Idle LE 1.5 from here http://www.download.com/RAM-Idle-LE/...ml?tag=lst-0-1 . You'll see when you change/increase the number of programs how your RAM is used up .. you may be surprised.

Gosh I really don't understand what I am missing here?

First...thank you for that link Canuck. I am sure it will be very useful on my older machine, as well as educational.

However I was not surprised in the least. When I changed/increased the number of programs, it reported the amount of RAM that was being used up...consistently comparable with what windows system info reports. So no joy to be found there.

There may be some joy in the fact that no matter how many programs, I ran at the same time, The program consistently increased the amount of physical memory available.(up to 700 plus MB) This may off set the need to purchase an exterior video card. I guess time will substantiate that one way or the other, as my computer seems to have slowed down a bit. I will know more once I reboot. Which will happen after I have posted this. The reason it has slowed down may have been due to the fact that I opened nearly every program that I have on my computer to see if it was possible to use up the memory that I have installed.

Nick.

Looks like this may be what I have been missing.

Understanding Virtual Memory
    by Perris Calderon
    May, 2004

First off, let us get a couple of things out of the way

· XP is a Virtual Memory Operating system

· There is nothing you can do to prevent virtual memory in the NT kernel

http://tweakhound.com/xp/virtualmemory.htm