Default laptop screen broken, can I bypass it?

Hi, just found this site. Thank you for any help you can give me.
    I have a toshiba satellite A35 notebook, new in Jan 2004, windows XP, Intel processor 2.8 mghtz
    80gig hd, 512 mb ram. The screen cracked about a year ago, but it wasn't under warranty and the cost to replace it is prohibitive. The crack has grown and my son needs this notebook computer for college, the crack has bleed now half the screen is black. Is there a way to bypass the screen and hook it up to a separate monitor or TV? If so, how do we do that? Thanks
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady

Yes every laptop I have ever owned has a monitor port on the back panel. You should be able to hook up an external monitor and it should work fine. You can download your user manual at the link below. There are 6 different A35 models listed so you will need the rest of your model number to get the right manual for your laptop model. HTH

http://tinyurl.com/wznpm
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

There should be. If your laptop has the monitor cable connector in the back (it should look about like this, except the plug end and not the wire end), then you can find a monitor and hook it up. You can get a flatscreen one if you want, those run fairly pricey--but if you can, I'd recommend getting a cathode-ray tube unit (what you're probably used to seeing when you hear the term 'computer monitor'). They're bulkier, but they last much longer and you can get them for real cheap if you can find a place that has 'em (I found one at the Salvation Army store for $2, in extremely good condition).

Once you have your new display device plugged in and powered on, then it probably won't be getting a signal. If it does, great, but if not, then you'll have to use the keyboard combination to switch displays, which, according to that user manual, is the function (Fn) key plus F5. If you press Fn+F5 (or whatever it is for your computer) and nothing comes up for about 10 seconds, hit Fn+F5 again--it should cycle through various modes this way. If you do Fn+F5 five times and there's no signal, then there's probably some sort of compatibility issue with your resolution settings and the monitor, and at that point you're out of my realm of knowledge, but I'm sure someone around here has ideas. Let us know if more steps are necessary.
    "It's everywhere, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, but the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." ---Unknown Armies

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Your main problem will be the increasing bleeding. The last thing you need is a power problem cause by a faulty screen.
    I would recommend having the laptop screen disconnected from the power source and bled dry.
    As for viewing on a TV that would depend on the graphics card. If it is capable of viewing two monitors then one should be able to be adjusted to a TV resolution.
    Hook the laptop up to any monitor. Right click on the desktop and choose properties then Settings. If you see a pic of two screens then you are in luck. Check the manual on how to set for using a TV as a screen.
    If you have an LCD TV it can be used as a monitor.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much, he will be home after finals on Thursday, we will work on it then and if I cannot figure it out, I will write again. I thought I'd looked for a monitor hookup, but maybe I overlooked it. I have 2 17" CRT monitors, they will be fine for him if I can get this to work. Thank you again!
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady

I must thank all of you who replied. I figured out the F5 + Fn key and it works beautifully! I can now easily switch from laptop to monitor! You have saved us from having to ditch the laptop! You all are great people and I can't thank you enough for this great site! Sorry for the duplicate posting, I will not do that again!
    Happy Holidays!
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady

Your welcome Glad to hear you got your problem resolved. Thank You for letting us know, we appreciate it. Have a Merry Christmas.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.