Default cant boot, no disk, no F8

My daughter has a 4 year old Compaq desktop... last night it wouldn't start up, just goes to the Compaq logo and stops there.
    I tried the F8 key, no luck.
    It is, however, cycling through the CD drives... but she has no boot disk('')
    I doubt I'll be so lucky as to find some kind of universal boot disk for windows xp, so wondering if you have any suggestions?
    I found the UBCD4win program but before I go through all of that, is there an easier way?
    Is this likely caused by a known virus?
    Any input would be very much appreciated.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Thee are a number of boot disks available that give you enough access to repair Windows. Bart's PE is one.
    When you installed your Anti Virus scanner did you make a set of recovery disks? If you did you can also use those.
    Another alternative is to boot up using a Linux Live distribution. There are plenty available. There are plenty of articles on what repairs you can do to Windows via Linux. (Live distros do not affect the hard drive at all)
    Also have you tried starting up into Safe Mode?
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

tried safe mode... unfortunately had to put this problem on hold for a few days as some pressing family issues came up... hope to get back to this in the next week and will let you know... thanks for your feedback, will follow those tips... gr8