Default Problem accessing certain websites

When I attempt to access certain websites, for example Mapquest, the browser appears to be attempting to connect to the website, but after about a minute I get the error message “The page cannot be displayed” when using Internet Explorer 6.0, and the message “The operation timed out when attempting to contact www.mapquest.com.” with Netscape 7.2. (I’m running under Windows 98 on a Powerspec 7230, a Pentium III computer.) These are all websites that I had been able to access previously. The problem occurs when using Internet Explorer as well as my Netscape browser, and with DSL as well as a dial-up connection. I tried deleting all cookies and temporary internet files, but that didn’t help. I also tried adding Mapquest to my trusted sites in IE, without success. However, I was able to access the Mapquest website using the proxy http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html.

Hi stanley - I have just tried the anonymouse link and it returns an error.
    Have you tried disabling your Firewall before trying to connect to Mapquest? Don't forget to enable your Firewall after. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Try a little basic clean up:

Go to start button> Control Panel> Internet opitions> Delete cookies, Delete file and delete history.

BG