Default C:\$MFT is corrupt or unreadable pop-up

I have a Dell E510 with Windows XP Media Center, recently I have been getting a pop-up stating that C:\ is corrupt or unreadable and it prompts me to run chkdsk, I try to run chkdsk but it won't run because the harddrive is in use. When rebooting the chkdsk always runs stating the volume is dirty but nothing turns up. I don't notice any other issues, it's not slow, no lock-ups, just this annoying pop-up and the disc scan on every reboot. Any ideas?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Chances are you've just installed IE7. IE7 is still buggy, I recommend waiting a few months before installing again. Uninstall it and then run chkdsk /r from the Start >Run > type in chkdsk /r (note the space between k and /) >OK. Reboot and let it do its thing.

I'm running IE version 6.0.2900.2180, I was able to run chkdsk /r as you suggested but I'm still getting the pop-ups.

Hi - Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome