Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video Display Problems on Television

Thanks for the great resource! I'm hoping someone can help me with a video problem I can't figure out.

I just built an HTPC and everything looks great on my LCD monitor. But when I hook it up to my TV (via DVI to HDMI), I can't see video, although audio still works. I can see the desktop and all else but when I play DVD, MPEG, AVI files using WMP, TheaterTek, and QuickTime, I can hear it I just can't see it. If I connect back to the monitor, once again, all video plays fine. I've updated drivers on the video card and for a short time last night, DVD video worked. But then I restarted and it's gone again. It seems to me like it must be something with the GPU but I'm at a total loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here are some of my system specs in case it helps:

Intel C2D E6400
    Asus P5B Deluxe
    G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2-800
    XFX 7600GS
    Windows XP Media Center 2005

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You need two leads. One from the Svideo output of your graphics card and one from the sound card
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Sounds like your set up for primary/secondary monitor is incorrect. I've seen this myself quite a few times.

There is probably a simple way to sort it via your graphics card options. However I am not familiar with your card so I do not know the exact answer. But via the start menu see if there is a wizard that guides you trough the set up. There should be an option for movies or cloning, or maybe an option to disable overlay.

However there is usually a way to overcome this problem via windows. On the desktop right click on an empty section of your desktop, select properties then settings. You should now see two graphics that represent your monitor and TV. If you have a play around with the options you have here, you should be able to solve your problem.

(For what it's worth I prefer to connect my TV to PC via VGA connection, as it seems to cause less problems. A lot of people do not do this because they think it will not be high definition...it is though. HD can go via DVI/HDMI, VGA or component. Of course not all TV's have a VGA connection, but more and more do these days so I just thought I'd throw that in there).

Thanks Shinobi, I'll try your suggestions tonight. Although I only hook up one monitor at a time and the graphics card settings show only one monitor, I could have missed something. I have not tried your suggestion about right click-->properties-->settings, maybe that'll do it.

I would definitely be up for using the VGA connection but I have a Pioneer 5060 and the VGA is on the front of the media receiver :roll: not exactly ideal for full time use.

So I didn't realize the right click-->properties was another way to get to display options. I've been combing through them for hours and have not found anything that works. But since you mentioned the VGA thing, I hooked it up with a VGA and video does work. Too bad it's in the front of the receiver or I would leave it there. So apparently this problem only occurs when I hook up via the DVI-HDMI cable. Hmmmm...

Strange, I wonder if it is an HDCP issue in that case.

I'm out of ideas, but I use a UK forum called AV Forums that is pretty hot on audio/visual stuff, including HTPC stuff. You could try posting your problem there in the entertainment computers section to see if any of those guys can help (mention you are from the USA as TV electronics, model No's etc sometimes differ this side of the pond).

http://www.avforums.com/

I'll have to check that forum out. I talked with XFX tech support and they said the DVI is meant for monitor use, not TV so it might not work properly. They're sending me an HDTV dongle which apparently works by converting the TV out (s-video looking thing) to component--and will output HD video. I'd rather use the DVI-HDMI but at this point, I'll take whatever works. In the meantime while I'm waiting for the dongle, I'll probably continue to try to get the DVI working. Thanks again for your help...

As far as I am aware DVI & HDMI are basically the same video format but HDMI also carries audio. They have different terminating connections, but you can get adapters or DVI to HDMI cables to overcome this (surely such items would not exist if the formats were incompatable). On top of all that I have read of numerous people connecting their PC's to HDTV's via this method, over here in the UK at least. Little suspicious of the s-video to component thing. Sure you will get a picture, but HD??. I could be wrong though!

Yeah, HDMI is DVI but with audio and different connector. I'm currently connected with a DVI-HDMI cable. I've heard of many people doing this also so I've got to think it can be done on my setup. But I'm also to the point that I'll go any way that gets results. I've literally messed around with every option I can find and nothing works. I'm somewhat skeptical about the s-video thing too, but tech support said it's not really an s-video port, it's a TV out port and you can connect to your TV using via component at HD res. I've done some searching and found people successfully using it but with the caveat that not all manufacturers turn it on for HD output. So we'll see.

I see, interesting. Keep us posted once it arrives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast