Default Is it possible to use a SATA main HD and Ghost to an IDE?

I am building a new system and want to use a SATA HD for my main drive. Presently I have an IDE and an IDE in a removable drawer. The removable one is used as a backup (made with Norton clone). I remove the HD and if my primary HD fails, just plug in the cloned drive and am back in business right away. This works fine with two IDE drives and Win 2K. Can I do the same thing with a SATA main drive and use an IDE for backup, with Win XP PRO?

Larry47, not a 100% on this but it would depend on your mother board if it supports SATA.

The MB supports SATA. My concern is I am trying to download files from my old IDE HD by placing it as a slave in the new system and I get a blue screen of death. Now I am wondering if I format the old IDE, use it as a backup, will it work. I know you can use both types on the same MB.

ZEP, I see you are in Pittsburgh. I am in Butler, can we talk on the phone?

right know i am in colorado wait for more replies you will get an answer couple folks here very good on the subject i'm limited in this area.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Are you getting the BSOD just while transfering files or when doing the backup process using your software also? What are the BSOD errors?

Partie™

The error message is when you are trying to boot. It is one of the ones that says if it is the first time to see it, to try again and then to remove any newly installed programs and try again.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Ok, but what is the error message EXACTLY, what are the stop code #'s? This information is necessary if you would like us to assist you.

Partie™

I discovered the answer to my problem. In BIOS you have to set the boot sequence to boot from the SATA drive first and it is under SCSI, not IDE0. My sequence was IDE0, floppy, CD and it was looking to the IDE drive for its boot and the boot it contained was for another motherboard. Thanks for the help!

Larry