Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default cds do not work on boombox

i record a cd through Windows Media Player, then i put it in my boombox and it does not play,

can anybody help me with this ?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Which format is it recording into? .wma or mp3 ? What format does your boombox accept?

Default Re: cds do not work on boombox

Quote Originally Posted by changintimes
    i record a cd through Windows Media Player, then i put it in my boombox and it does not play,

can anybody help me with this ?
    I've had this problem before. Due to my stereo/boombox did not support the format, the cd was in.

Indeed; if you're burning a CD-r or CD-rw, then pay attention to whether the burning program has a 'finish the process' type option, where you can no longer add or remove data from its space and it finalizes writing so that any device can read it (proper format notwithstanding--no matter how you slice it, a straight-up CD player will never be able to read anything beyond Redbook format tracks).

Additionally, you may want to look at what type of CD you're burning. Some of them say they're 80 minutes and some say 74 minutes; if you're using an 80 minute CD, then note that some CD players have trouble with reading these properly and may skip--or worse, just not play at all.
    "It's everywhere, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, but the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." ---Unknown Armies

thanks guys,

priam, i will try to find 74 minutes, mine are 80, do you know why they have a problem with 80 minutes ?

Problem with 80 minutes:

Every CD-R has a spiral, which starts on the inside and ends on the outer part of the CD, where the data is written (like on a harddisk). The laser-head will always follow this spiral from begin to end to read (or write) data.

The distance between the start- and end-position of the spiral are defined in the CD Red-Book and are the same for all 63, 74 & 80 minutes CD-R media. So the spiral has to be wound tighter to fit 80 minutes data in the same space were normally only 74 minutes data resides.

80 minutes CD-R's can be written by almost any CD-Writer but there are a few CD-Writer manufacturers (like HP & Sony) who say that they do NOT support 80 minutes CD-R's as these CD-R's do not comply to the CD Red-Book standard. So it is possible that the CD-Writers made by these manufacturers work with 80 minutes CD-R's but it most cases it won't. The only way to know it for sure is by writing 700 Mb data to a 80 minutes CD-R and then comparing it with the CD contents when the CD was written correctly.

For example the HP8100i & Sony CRX-100 CD-Writers will only write a 80 minutes CD-R up to 78:16 minutes.

As the 80 Minutes CD-R's are now widely available CD-Writer manufacturers will be forced to support them. Usually a firmware update will do the "trick".

very very interesting and you guys are great,

i am not near the cd player now, i don't remember the brand name, but how will a firmware upgrade help ?

do i do the upgrade on the computer that i burn the disks with ? or somehow for the cd player ?

You upgrade the drivers for your cd r/w .. while at it see if there are other driver updates for your sound card (not that this is a sound card problem, but it's always good to keep your firmware up-to-date).

have not updated drivers for awhile, how do i do this ?

If you give us information on your PC, we may be able to help. What make and model is your PC? or was it custom built? If custom built, we'll need make and model of your cd r/w . If you don't know any of this info, suggest you download Belarc at http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and run it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast