Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Monitor is acting funny :->

my monitor keeps shrinking to about 50% it's normal size, from left to right, but top to bottom stays fine,

i changed my hertz setting from 85 to 75 and so far so good, but the display is not so good, but the size is fine so far,

does anybody know what's happening ?

Hi - Have you tried 'degaussing'? There may be a dedicated button for this or you may have to access it through the monitor on screen menu. Don't be tempted to tinker with the inside of the monitor, it packs a mighty punch. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

hi galena,

i tried degauss (just shrank and expanded right now) many times, doesn't do anything, i usually get results when i tap the side of the monitor with my nuckles, the left side, towards the top,

is it possible it is some kind of virus ?

BAD monitor. Time for a new one.

Again as it has been said - DON'T go playing around INSIDE a monitor.
    They will, just like a TV, can give you shock that you will always remember. I have been there/done that !!!

BG

i won't go into my monitor

promise, thanks,

what gives the shock ?

even if the monitor is unplugged, you still can get a shock, right ?

is that capacitors that can do that ?

i have a brand new 2004 compaq monitor in my attic, the trick is getting past all the junk on the stairs and getting into the attic,

Quote Originally Posted by changintimes
    what gives the shock ?

even if the monitor is unplugged, you still can get a shock, right ?
    Yes you can. It can be got off the CRT if you get too near what's called the 'final anode (or EHT) connector'. Perhaps a shock can be got off capacitors on the circuit board too (depending on the fault). When the monitor is running, there'll be thousands of volts on the CRT's EHT connector. This voltage takes a long time to die away when the monitor is turned off, unless you put your finger near it. Then voltage stored in the CRT will take the opportunity to discharge to earth through you. A definite 'Ouch!' situation.

The real danger comes when the the monitor is running with the covers off. It's necessary to do this when looking for a fault. Otherwise you'd have to try whatever you thought the trouble was and put the cover back on before powering up. If that wasn't the fault, you'd have to take the cover off again and have another try. This is impracticable. Faults have to be found with the cover off and usually with the monitor switched on.

This is all just general information. The advice of others is good. There would seem to be a bad connection but going inside the monitor and attempting to repair it yourself can't be recommended. Time to get a new monitor I'd say. A nice LCD one perhaps.

I knew we had an "old TV repairman" here. Mart44 is correct, it is most certainly an "Ouch".

However, don't forget the body reflex to that shock. I moved a 100+ pound 21 round tube, back in the 60's, just because of the reflex. My Dad said that sucker came of the floor about 2 inches

BG

hello changintimes

here's an idea... instead of braving the treacherous 'staircase o' stuff' and whatever might be lurking in the attic (maybe the boogie man? or worse an army of boogie men?), why not proceed with caution (the degree of which i will leave to you, though this thread has lead me to believe that you are incapable of manuevering safely through this existence. perhaps supervision and/or assistance would be prudent) down to your local library. At the library the computers are maintained by somebody else and all of lifes interesting and exciting experiences can be read from the safety of a book while safely sitting in an uncomfortable chair.

DON'T GO INTO YOUR MONITOR

if the book that substitutes this experience is checked out give me a call i'll take the cover off mine (i've secured it with wingnuts for quick and easy removal/replacement) and describe it to you in the safest way possible.

now you know why Basementgeek's head spins like that. don't let that happen to you. besides, the inside of your monitor couldn't possibly be as fascinating as the inside of mine.
    'Everything is relative', said the speed of light.

I used to run a site that gave advice on TV faults. It became a bit dated so I took it down. Here's a page from it about taking the back/cover off. Some of it is relevant to CRT computer monitors too.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boots44/tvbackoff-1.html

Your horizontal deflection circuit has failed power transistors are used now to deflect the electron beam( used to be tubes) the electron beam is shot at center of the crt vertical and horizontal deflection circuits move the beam across the crt, When working on them the 1st order is to discharge the 2nd anode slip a lead under the rubber cup on the crt touch other end to ground these day's a water pipe. It's a high voltage discharge that contains very little current. The high voltage is produced by the fly-back transformer 50 to 70,000 volts dc 2 compactors store this voltage to aid the power supply on start up. Never work on a monitor when plugged in not because of voltage but at this high voltage radiation is produced. Crt's are the reference for color reproduction and used in most hi end situations where color is important.

Just sharing i miss the old bulky electronics you could here the voltage and smell it, hence the radiation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast