Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CANNOT Delete this file!!!

OMG. I've been through everything I possibly could, but I can't delete this 4.34GB .iso file that's on my computer.

Every time I try I get:
    "This file is being used by another program"

But I know for SURE that there is no program using this file.

Tried safe mode, tried a file shredder program, tried regedit (but closed it before really trying anything because I didn't know what I was doing)

If any of you can help... I'm really desperate here. 4.34GB is a LOT.

Member Help2Go Moderator

"tried a file shredder program" have you tried something like "move on boot". Also, try killing the explorer.exe process and then deleting it in a command prompt window.

Partie™

Below is the website for the Move On Boot software that Partie recommended.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Hi - Also found this suggestion -
    1. Reboot the PC in 'Safe Mode' and try and delete it.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    "tried a file shredder program" have you tried something like "move on boot". Also, try killing the explorer.exe process and then deleting it in a command prompt window.

Partie™
    I have no idea how to "delete it in a command prompt window"

Member Help2Go Moderator

Active Killdisk...isn't that a drive cleaner as in wipes the whole complete drive? Sorta like Darins Boot and Nuke?? I don't think that's what they are looking for.

When I see delete it from a command prompt start the computer in safe mode. When the computer is finished loading do a ctrl+alt+del and end task on explorer.exe . In the task manager click "file" then "new task (run)" and type in "cmd" (no quotes) and click ok. There a black window will open. If this file was located in C:\some\folder\directory\ and was named "myfile.iso" (full path C:\some\folder\directory\myfile.iso) then you would type this command in..

del C:\some\folder\directory\myfile.iso (Press enter on keyboard)

Noting the spacing where needed.

You should either get an access denied error or it should just jump to a new C:\documents and settings\username line with a blinking cursor meaning it deleted teh file. After it deletes the file (if it does) type in "explorer.exe" (No quotes) and press enter to start the desktop agani and then restart the computer.

Partie™

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    Partie™
    Unfortunately the file was in a folder with a really long name that I couldn't change and would've been hell to type.

Good news: That magic little program, "MoveOnBot", got rid of it completely.

Danke schön

Member Help2Go Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RyliFox
    Unfortunately the file was in a folder with a really long name that I couldn't change and would've been hell to type.
    I know I didn't tell you this but in case you run into something like this again you can use the 8.3 naming convention in the Windows dos-like command prompt. Say for instance you had a file within this directory structure...

C:\realy long\name that I couldn't change\folder\file.iso

with 8.3 naming convention you do 8 characters starting with the first character. With the example above count them like this:
    1 = r
    2 = e
    3 = a
    4 = l
    5 = y
    6 = (space not counted so..) l
    7 = ~ (Tilda)
    8 = 1 (the number)

you can do cd realyl~1 which would then put you in the C:\realy long\ directory. That would make your command prompt look like C:\realyl~1> then do the same thing for the next folder "name that I couldn't change" and that would be 8.3 again...so...

1=n
    2=a
    3=m
    4=e
    5=(space not counted..)t
    6=h
    7=~
    8=1

The reason for the tilda (~) 1 is the folder number in numerical/alphabetical order comes first incase there are multiple folders with almost the same name. In the case of C:\realy long name a\ and C:\realy long name b\

CD C:\realyl~1 would be "C:\realy long name a\" and CD C:\realyl~2 would be "C:\realy long name b" because alphabetically "a" comes before "b". Numbers come before alaphabet so if I had "C:\realy long name 1\" and "C:\realy long name a" , "cd C:\realyl~1" would be C:\realy long name 1\ and "cd C:\realyl~2" would be "C:\realy long name a".

I'm not sure if this was worth posting now but incase someone would like a little hint later there's the info.

Partie™

Hi Partie - Thank God you spotted that . I picked up the link to majorgeeks KillDisk download as the solution to removing iso file 'being used by another program', when it's not. Stoopid me didn't realise it killed everything else as well :shock: . Thanks for picking up that minor detail . Apologies to Rylifox for supplying incorrect information. :cry: Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator

Heh..it happens to the best of us! 8) :lol:

Partie™

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast