Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Temp?

Default Case Temp?

When ripping CDs my case or Board temperature shoots way up. Sandra lite warned me when it reached 45 degrees Celsius.

Can anyone tell me what a reasonable case temperature should be?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You look to be well within the safe range, take a look at this excellent article http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/143 .

The article is excellent Canuck,

However it appears that I did not explain things as I should have. According to the article I have to much case heat when I use my CD & DVD drives.

So it looks as though my next step is to put a "Blow hole" in the top of my computer.

Has anyone here done that? Any information from those who have, would be appreciated.

Mr. Nick.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Drives that use mechanical parts such as hard drives and cd drives all create heat when in use.
    Your temp rand is within the normal range.
    The alert you get is what has been determined as a maximum in the applications preferences.
    If you are concerned the easiest fix is to install an extra case fan.
    They are easy to install and only need to be plugged into a spare power supply lead.
    If possible you can install it in front of or close as possible to the drives.
    You can buy special coolers for drives which do a far better job but cost a bit more.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I welcome your response whoozhe.

I recently installed a fan in the front pulling air in and an additional fan in the back pulling air out, and that is not enough for me.

What initially raised my concern was when I put my hand on the outside of the fan grill (at the back of the computer) for the power supply...it was hot. Much hotter than any other computer I have owned ever felt. I have a hard time believing that the power supply is able to function properly under that kind of an environment.

Also when my computer is running at the higher temperature, there is an offensive smell as though something is burning or about to burn.

I have installed sensor view and it reports it is the system (or board) that is giving me the high readings. That confirms what Sandra Lite reported. When it advised me to shut down my computer immediately. and make sure all of my fans were running.

I am of the belief that installing a Blow hole should provide some relief for the power supply. I am also of the belief that it would be impossible to get the computer cool enough to cause any damage by installing another exhaust fan.

My computer is new, but I only paid $350.00 for it. It is a 3.20 GB celeron, and does everything I want it to do at a very reasonable speed. I am pleased with it, and I am prepared do what I have to do to get it running cooler.

Mr Nick.

My Pc blew up yesterday and wrecked my psu,cpu and motherboard.
    It had been running hot and smelling of burning and it turned out to be too much dust as a bit fell into the PSU and created a spark and BANG.
    I guess I will be cleaning it a bit more regularly from now on

Blew up...What a bummer.... I have opened up my share of computers that had a lot of dust in them, and have marveled at the fact that some of them still run. How unfortunate for you, I am sorry that happened to you. The smelling of burning is what I have learned to pay close attention to.

rusjkit:

And just what kind of air did you use? Was it an "can" of air or did you use air from a compressor ?

Nicknamed:

Is both the front and back "open" to the air, or is it tucked in the computer desk ?

My PC desk has a large opening in the back, that I cut, to keep it cool.
    Right now the temp in my basement is 68f and the PC is running about 95f/31c.

BG

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The power supply should only extract it's own heat so if it is hot coming from it's fan then I would be changing power supply and fast. It may be that your current PSU is failing and the heat is a sign of it struggling to keep up. The fact that temp rises when burning a disk, a task that draws a lot of power, may be a sign.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Case Temp

Hi BG, I am ashamed to say I have never cleaned inside my PC. It sits on a side table with plenty of space around it. However my Dell Duocore Laptop gets very hot very fast so that is a problem I must solve. I have a 7200rpm hard drive in it and that must also contribute to the heating problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast