Thread: PC wont Post

Default PC wont Post

ok have just had a new m/b asus A8V-vm with a amd athlon 64 3000+ with an nvidia gs7600 pci card fitted by a tech bloke, rang the man on saturday only to be told it wont post, not being a complete newbie with these thing i said oh?, as it all new stuff, new p/s, m/b,card, only my drives and cd are from the orginal pc, which all worked fine

and after some rummanging round the internet at work today im lead to belive that my memory may be dead. Is my thinking right or is something else amiss?

Hi - Have you checked the Ram is properly seated in the slots? If you check this yourself be sure to touch a bare part of the chassis to discharge any static you may be carrying before making sure the RAM is properly seated. Only touch the RAM on its edges, not on the faces where the chips are. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

thanks for the reply galena, have double and triple checked they were seated correctly, still nothing, so have gone and bought some new ram fingers crossed it will work, otherwise it time for the old irish screwdriver(aka a lump hammer) trick and hit it.

as my pc is currently with a techincian i would assume he has tried everything like making sure the ram is seated correctly and stipping it down to a barebone. but if my thinking is correct and the ram is dead then evn if he strips it down to the basis it still wont post

Hi - Presumably this RAM was ok before it went to the technician? Who is supplying and fitting the new RAM? Cynic that I am If the technician, suggest you request the old RAM when you collect the machine. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

ive bought the new ram from a computer shop near where i work, not if the old ram was working b4 it went to the tech as that was the issue my pc wouldnt post, and orginally thought i had blown my motherboard,and processor, so went and purchased a new mb and processor and let him fit it,.

i will b fitting the new ram tonight as the guy has had my pc now since wednsday last week

If this was new stuff and it got blown, it would have been because of improoper installation. Are you sure your tech friend knows what he's doing? as galenna said, get the old parts back to make sure he's not increasing his inventory at your expense. Charlie

well i would hope he knew what he was doing, as i got him out the yellow pages, :lol: well i will be getting everything back tonite fingers crossed, and he was adversited as a computer repair specialest , and if it was down to inproper installtion he can fork out some cash to replace the parts as they werent even unpacked when he was given them