Default Computer Upgrade time!!!

The last desktop I built is over 2 years old, and I'm just itching to build my next creation so I can get back into the gaming world. Here's my current config:

MB: ECS PM800-M2
    CPU: Intel P4 3.06GHz
    VID: ATI Radeon X850PRO AGP (recently purchased)
    RAM: 1GB of DDR

Here's what I'd like to upgrade to:

MB: ASRock 939Dual
    CPU: AMD Dual Core Processor
    VID: Same (ATI Radeon X850 Pro AGP
    RAM: 2GB of DDR

I've already got the new case, 500W power supply, and new dual 160GB hard drives. Just looking for an opinion about whether this would be a good combination to go to, what you might change about this (other than the AGP to PCIe because I really want to use my existing card that I just bought 3 months ago), or any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Well I'm upgrading soon mainly to have a good games machine. I want to be able to play games like Crysis & Alan Wake at high settings.

All my research has lead me to beleive that it has to be intel core 2 duo, and it has to be a DX10 pci-e graphics card running on vista.

If I had to upgrade right now I would try and use a configuration that leaves open an upgrade path with a view to core 2 duo
    & pci-e.

...core 2 duo & pci-e graphics card.

(sorry something weird happened in my last post, where what I had written was not appearing once posted or edited).

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You will not gain much until multi-threaded applications and games start hitting the market. Current software will run a little faster but not enough to warrant the extra cost.
    The business applications will be the first on the scene.
    By the time more start hitting the shelves the cost of the CPUs will be a lot less as quad core take over.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.