Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hardware has vanished problem

Hello I am new and this is my very first post

When my laptop closed down last night it did an automatic update for windows first.
    Today when i boot it up theres no sound or wireless connection or even ethernet connection.
    when i try sendvol it says i have no soundcard
    i cant get it online as it is not detecting the connections for that either
    after browsing around you site ive done the checks
    device manager was shown as empty now it shows evertything but they still dont start

the laptop is not that old and has no modifications to it other than plug and play devices being added
    i have a feeling thats this could be a simple fix but im baffled at the moment
    i have ran the recovery dvd that was created at the time of purchase.
    this made no difference

the laptop is
    advent 7105

i am available on yim
    w3lshw1zard if anyone can help

Hello

You say the computer in not that old so I am assuming you are using Windows XP. Try doing a system restore to a date before the updates. Let us know if this helps.
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

system restore is turned off m8
    i always have it turned off

another thing im noticing is if i go

control panel/administrative tools/computer managment and look n services its almost totally disabled

Hi - Try - Turn on 'System Restore' and create a new 'Restore Point'. Whilst turning on System Restore also move the slider to 6%>'Apply'>'OK'. Creating a System Restore point will create a 'snapshot' of your Registry and enable you to 'roll things back' if there are any other problems. It's very likely that if System Restore had been on you would have saved yourself some grief.
    Then -
    'Start'>'Control Panel'> Double click 'Add/Remove Programs'.
    Make sure the box at the top 'Show Updates' is checked.
    Remove the updates that you installed, they will have the date alongside so you will know which ones they are. If these updates included Internet Explorer 7 you could dump this first and see if it fixes your problem before proceeding any further. Your system will automatically revert to IE6.
    If the problem is resolved by uninstalling the updates you can download them again, individually, by selecting the 'Custom' option from the Update Download site. This way you will hopefully discover which, if any, of the updates is causing the problem. Regards.
    EDIT: Some updates, once installed, cannot be removed.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

i set sound to automatic and its worked ill try matching all the others so they are the same as my desktop pc and ill get back with what it did

As an afterthought - In 'Device Manger', right click the problem item(s) and see if they are 'Enabled'. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

now this is strange
    i re-enabled all the things that match my pc
    when i restarted they are all disabled again and system restore is off

ill do it all again and take a snap shot

cdm

Try to do the system Restore in Safe Mode. Boot your computer and keep your finger on F8 until you see the Menu. Then choose Safe Mode.

too late cdm i did it before your reply but thats a good tip for the future
    i think i have it under control now but i thank each and every reply
    i am sticking around here i need a decent forum bookmarked for windows so you are the one

Hi - Try - 'Start'>'My Computer'>Right click your Hard Drive (probably C) and then click 'Properties'.
    What is the 'Used Space' and 'Free Space'?
    Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast