Default talk talk connection problems

hi all
    can anyone help i'm in over my head and drownig
    my mother recently set up a talk talk account with free broadband
    but getting connected is proving to be a nightmare below is advice from talk talk website plus the steps i have taken to configure modem and
    computer but i am now stumped as to next steps to take

What are the settings for a modem router?
    Most ADSL routers sold in the UK will be ready to connect to TalkTalk Broadband. The settings should be as below. If you have any problems with your router, please contact the manufacturer. We can't offer any support for hardware we haven't supplied.
    VPI = 0
    VCI = 38
    DNS settings (primary) 62.24.199.13
    DNS settings (secondary) 62.24.199.23
    Authentication = CHAP
    Encapsulation mode = PPP over ATM (PPPoA). VC-MUX
    You will also need your TalkTalk Broadband username and password. You'll find these in the welcome letter we sent. If you cannot find your welcome letter and cannot remember your broadband username and password, you can call free of charge from a TalkTalk landline on 0870 0875 562 to retrieve them.

I have set the sitecom modem 214 v2 to these settings

Then I followed steps below

Check your using correct dns for talk talk

In Windows XP:
    • Click on Start.
    • Select Run.
    • In the window that appears, type in cmd (in lower case) and press "Enter".
    • A black Command Prompt window will appear.
    • In this window, type nslookup (in lower case) and press "Enter".
    • This will tell you the default server and also the address of the DNS server you are connected to. This should be either 62.24.128.17 or 62.24.128.18

• I followed these steps
    • But it said default server not available
    Default server unknown
    How do I set the default server to correct one

also i was told to check they had the correct modem on computer via network connections right click talk talk properties then under the heading connect using it should say speedtouch 330
    but on mums comp it says modem -ageresystems pci soft modem
    {com 3}
    can i change this over to speedtouch 330 or do i need a talk talk modem
    she orderred one a month or so ago but hasn't found it's way through yet
    many thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice
    all the best
    nightowl13

Member Help2Go Moderator

The reason for the "Default Server: unknown" is because you're probably using your router as a DHCP server (you're getting your network IP addresses from your router) and therefore the router is acting as the default name server so doing an NSLOOKUP (name server lookup) command on your IP will give you default server: unknown because it's a not a public IP address with a registered fqdn attached to it. I know that seems technical, but, the NSLOOKUP is working correctly and it sounds like your router is working correctly now let's try figuring out why you can't reach the internet.

Partie™

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    ly now let's try figuring out why you can't reach the internet.
    Partie™
    TalkTalk are having serious problems with their services. They are unable to cope with the demand for their free broadband.
    Be warned, one new customer claims to have been charged £140.00 by customer support(?) for talking him through the setup procedure on the phone. If you need to telephone them, for any reason, I suggest you check the small print of your agreement so that you know exactly how much, if anything, it is going to cost you. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Default TalkTalk

Hi everyone - 2 things
    Firstjy re: "Be warned, one new customer claims to have been charged £140.00 by customer support(?) for talking him through the setup procedure on the phone. If you need to telephone them, for any reason, I suggest you check the small print of your agreement so that you know exactly how much, if anything, it is going to cost you."

Check out www.saynoto0870.com You'll find freefone or normal rate phone numbers for loads of companies there.

Secondly. I've just spent best part of 2 days trying to get my email from talktalk with only intermittent success. I keep getting the same error message in Outlook and OE, and I can't even connect via a web based mail account. Then I googled the error message and found a forum where I discovered that I'm not the only one with this problem. So it seems that TT are having some serious server problems. I'm not bothering to phone customer services, they are useless and I've never got anywhere with them. Is anyone else currently having this problem with TT?

thanks for all imput
    i have been into carphone wharehouse and complained there the chap got straight on the phone and ordered a modem which he is confident will be with my mum if not before xmas then before the new year
    but as she has been waiting and phoning for the best part of 2 months
    we shall see but for anyone out there with simular problems then go into the car phone wharehouse and complain in person and ask for them
    to sort it out it's not so easy to fob you off face to face

all the best

Try this email address. It's Charles Dunstone. The COE of carphone warehouse. :wink:

dunstoc@cpwplc.com