Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My neighbors can see my monitor and tell me what I am typing

I am totally convinced my neighbors can see my computer monitor (as strange as this sounds) and I am trying to figure out how this is possible?
    I use high speed cable connection and I am the only user.
    I have installed the Windows XP Firewall and the usual security software that comes with the Windows XP Home Edition.
    The updates are automatically loaded from the Microsoft download configuration.
    Norton AntiVirus 2004
    and NOADWARE v3 is registered (Noadware.net)

What convinced me? Since the apartments I live in include the utilities in the cost of rent, we all share the same heating and cooling. The Management turned off the cooling but has not turned on the heating, so when it is late at night and things are quiet outdoors, through the vents (which are all somehow connected but are seperate in each unit) I can hear people voices chanting through the vents and it seems to be the occupants upstairs voices.

This seems weird, but the upstairs occupants chant together the names of each web site I visit, or they say exactly what is being typed in reply to email, and then they repeat in a chant my Windows logon password several times when I am not typing or visiting web sites.

This neighbor two door over upstairs was acting nervous when he brought a X-box from his parents house and we passed eachother on the stairs. He kept making excuses what he was doing with it. Is it possible they connected through the X BOX?

But could they have gone into the wall and put a splitter on the cable connection? I do not use a wireless router for anything and wondered if anyone had some suggestions how it could be possible b4 I contact Police?
    :?:

I promise, I am quite sane and not imagining this.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I would suggest you contact your ISP and let them know. If they have somehow tapped into your connection your provider should be able to trace activity. See what others have to say.

Great Suggestion. They came out and could not see anything but suggested joining a forum and get ideas from other users. Thanks for replying promptly!

Are you connected via a wireless router? If so do you have your wireless conection secured via WEP or SSID?

http://help.isu.edu/index.php?action...tid=&docid=849
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Bear they wrote:

But could they have gone into the wall and put a splitter on the cable connection? I do not use a wireless router for anything and wondered if anyone had some suggestions how it could be possible b4 I contact Police?
    BG

Sorry BG I guess I missed that. OOPS
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Member Help2Go Moderator

They came out and could not see anything but suggested joining a forum and get ideas from other users.
    Does that mean they (your neighbors) came out and told you to join a forum because they told you they knew what you were typing? If that is the case I'd look for a trojan on the computer or some other software such as a keylogger. The one thing about knowing the Windows password is that they would have to have some kind of keylogger on your machine since the windows password when typed is displayed as dots on the screen not plain text.

Just my 2 cents.

Partieā„¢

hello Just Me

call the police. i am being 100% sincere and completely honest with you. i have dealt with a similar situation a few years ago. that is the best advice i can give you at this time. make sure the responding officers understand the situation with your internet connection as well as everything that is happening in your building. after you've spoken with them you might remember something that you would like to tell them, instead of trying to track them down make sure you retain their contact info.

i'll keep close tabs on this thread.

all the best

Aaron (53V3N)
    'Everything is relative', said the speed of light.

Default computer access

I don't understand all I know about this stuff, But if your bldg is wired for computer access, Mebeso the installer set somethin up like a network, I would go into control panel clik on network setup wizard and disable all file sharing, Also too I would go into administrative tools then into services and disable remote access, Might be worth a try mebeso whoozie would have some thoughts on this.

May be they will see this page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_crime

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast