Thread: Firefox?

Default Firefox?

Since upgrading to Internet Explorer 7.0, problems began to develop. My homepage (Netscape) wouldn't open fully, sites such as YouTube won't operate as before, searches lead to inaccurate places. Bookmarks were still usable (then my Netscape ones disappeared until I reclaimed them with Mozilla).
    Yes, I've gone to Mozilla. It opens my Netscape home page (but very slowly).
    Coincidently, with my Norton expiring, I went with a Computer Associates virus program. It didn't seem to be up to date, so I've now added virus protection to my Web Root spyware.
    What can you make of this, & do you have suggestions on bringing my PC back to it's previous performance standard?

First suggestion is to uninstall IE 7 "upgrade", it is causing many problems on some computers. uninstalling it will revert you back to IE 6. I recommend using Firefox for everything except for the few sites that require IE. I personally use AVG antivirus, SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender and Zone Alarm Free firewall. All of these are free, work together and do a very good job. Charlie

Coincidently, with my Norton expiring, I went with a Computer Associates virus program. It didn't seem to be up to date, so I've now added virus protection to my Web Root spyware.
    What can you make of this, & do you have suggestions on bringing my PC back to it's previous performance standard?
    When you went from Norton to CA to Web Root virus protection did you uninstall the previous two antvirus programs. That could lead to slow downs on your computer. You should only have one antivirus running on your system. For some other tips on speeding up your computer see this link:
    http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Win...n_I_do%3F.html
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

"Grim322" offers you some good advice. IE7 has been causing heartburn for many users. Just be advised that when you uninstall it, your IE6 that returns will in fact return minus any tweaks...in other words, your bookmarks, and any other preferences that you had set prior to the IE7 upgrade. If you can live without it, you'd be better off. See if you can learn to use the FireFox browser for your surfing, and just use your IE6 for the Windows updates.

Also, I think "Clark76" hit the nail on the head. Your sudden slow down problems no doubt relate to having two antivirus scanners on board. You may think your norton has expired so no problem...not exactly. If you still have it on board, you still have the services running...and they will conflict with each other. Regardless, while the two are running (expired or not) the real time protection features of both will struggle with each other over access rights to any offending file. Each will want to zip the offender and arrest the file. The struggle will in theory, continue infinitely which causes instability...and ultimately a system crash with possible loss of data. If you want to be sure you've removed your Symantec product please do this:

Remove Symantec entirely from your system using their removal tool.
    Disabled Veteran
    U.S.C.G.

CastleCops Graduate 1st Responder

Member:
    A.S.A.P.