Thread: Runtime error?

Default Runtime error?

:?: Wow, this is cool. I just found this site and boy do I need it.. I am NOT very computor savvy so bear with me.. I became the yearbook advisor in my daughter's school, and when I received the portrait cd I had to copy it all to my computor of course. To make a long story short, I use a software Elitevision 5.1 and when I tried to download the list of names from the portrait cd into the Elitevision Masterlist, all hell broke loose. The computor is super slow, freezes, etc. and started with the low virtual memory message which I learned can all be the result of too much data , nut enough memeory so I bought a 250GB hard drive to upgrade. I installed that just fine and away that message went but the runtime error message STILL keeps popping up Every time I try to open the Masterlist. Actually, I can't even open the masterlist which in turn means I can't work on the book. This is so very frustrating and I feel as if it's easy to fix and everyone that I call wants to charge an arm and a leg for "help".
    I have an emachine with dialup(which is going to be hi speed by Friday!!) I have a 4 in 1 hooked up to it, it's a desktop, windows XP with Norton Anti'virus recently installed.(I thought the portrait cd gave me a virus) I don't know what processor speed means but if you explain it to me I'm sure I can figure out what my computor is. I bought it a couple of years ago.
    Another thing with this problem is that it also messed up my dial up connection. I currently have peoplepc and had to connect using temp. I totally don't understand what the Elitevision had to do with my internet.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Ellenka :cry:

Hi - A 'Runtime Error' can be caused by a dodgy program (Elitevision?)
    Download and run the free program at the link below.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If you are unable to do this on the problem machine, download it on to another pc, saving it to a floppy disc ( it will just fit on a floppy ok) or a cd.
    If you are downloading to a different machine - Right click the 'download' link and click 'Save Target As'. Your target will be the floppy or cd drive that you are copying the download to.
    You can then put this disc in the problem machine and install and run the (very small) program. This program will produce a detailed report of your system. From this report you can tell us -
    Operating System?
    Processor - Type and Speed?
    How much RAM you have ( listed under 'Memory Modules')
    Drives?
    How much Hard Drive Used Space?
    How much Hard Drive Free Space?
    What is detailed under the heading 'Display'?
    What is detailed under the heading 'Multimedia'?
    What Browser are you using? Internet Explorer? What version 6 or 7?
    Have you downloaded all of the Windows Updates?
    Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Default Thank you!

Thank you for your reply, I'll let you know how all goes.

Ellen :wink:

HI Ellenka

There are lots of causes of runtime errors...

Runtime errors can be caused by badly scripted web pages, badly written programs or indeed virus...

WE need you to post the full & exact error message you get, it will have a # attributed to the runtime error ... that gives us a starting point to track down the cause from...

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -