Default Connecting new monitor to laptop

I am having trouble trying to connect the new monitor to the laptop and getting it to display. I've tried switching them in display, but the new monitor shows the same distortion as the cracked monitor on the laptop. I can not seem to make the new one the default, it keeps reverting to the laptop. This is on a toshiba A35 satellite notebook, running windows xp. Just did a clean install of the software. Also when I try to change to new monitor the laptop display changed to very large type. I tryed help and did what it suggests, but it still wants to use both monitors. Thanks
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady

Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject, question or problem. Your original post is at the link below. In the future please keep it all in a single thread. Thanks.

http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...light,/#106403
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Thanks, I looked back for a month and did not see it.
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady

Hi - This may not work for you (options may not be available) but worth a try.
    Right click the desktop, then 'Properties'>'Settings' tab>'Advanced'>Displays'. Do you have an option to select the monitor as default display? If so, do so, click apply and ok.
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

I must thank all of you who replied. I figured out the F5 + Fn key and it works beautifully! I can now easily switch from laptop to monitor! You have saved us from having to ditch the laptop! You all are great people and I can't thank you enough for this great site!
    Happy Holidays!
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady