Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PC problems/maybe cpu overheat

The last six months or so, my computer as been restarting or freezing. I wasn't sure why. I have a virus protect program that detects everything that seems to come down the pike. I don't think that’s the problem. The other day I got home from work and my computer was off. So I turned it back on. It loaded up fine. After using it for 5 minutes it turned off again. I was sure it wasn't a power problem because I have a 2 month old 500 watt power supply. To make a long story a little shorter I opened my case and noticed that the fan that was on the cpu was hanging there. It some how broke off and was no longer on the cpu. I'm not sure how long it was running like that. How do I know if my cpu or motherboard might be damaged? Could the freezing and restarting be the fault of a now bad cpu? What should I do next? The motherboard and cpu are a little under 3 years old.

The freezing and restarting is very likely the result of an over heated CPU.

I would suggest that you fix the part that is broken, and see if there are any problems.

Mr. Nick.

I did try to glue the plastic holder but it broke again. I turned my computer on its side so the fan was flat on the cpu. It still restarts and freezes. Could this be a sign of permanent damage due to excessive heat?

It could be....depending on the computer. Some computers have a point at which the processor will shut down completely, once it reaches a certain temperature. So that the processor won't get damaged.

I had a Pentium 2 that the processor became damaged as a result of becoming over heated, which acted similar to what you are describing. and after replacing the processor everything worked fine.

Mr. Nick.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Can you get the computer in safe mode- keep tapping the f-8 key during boot up i am curious if it will run in safe mode with out freezing .
    1 What operating system?
    2 What type of cpu?
    3 What make of computer?
    4 When does the computer freeze?

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds like the fan isn't properly cooling the CPU. Just being on top of it might not be enough - PC makers put a heat-dissipating glue (thermal paste) between the CPU and heatsink/fan to help the heatsink do its job.

This is a good brand:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/index.html

If the heat is not properly being channeled away from the CPU, it will quickly overheat, and it will appear as if your computer has frozen.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

When I saw that the fan was off I did buy thermal paste and put it on after cleaning off the old paste. I'm not sure who makes my motherboard. I think its gitabit. (Or something like that) I have a amd 64 3000+ cpu. I'm running windows xp. It is a custom built PC. Since I put my computer on its side with the fan on top with the new paste, I haven't had any problems.

Fallen you can run this program it will tell you what kind of mother board is installed go here: www.belarc.com.

Click the download tab this program will create a profile of everything in the computer once you know the mother board you may be able to get the part you need for that board.

Thanks again for your help. I'll give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast