Thread: IE Uninstall

Default IE Uninstall

Hi
    I want to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 and reinstall 6. I used Add or Remove Programs but I'm unable to install version 6 because I get a message that a newer version of IE is installed. Sure enough version 7 is still there. It launches but my toolbar links have disappeared. It is no longer listed in Add or Remove programs. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of version 7 please?
    Thanks.

Hi - Can you do a 'System Restore' back to before you tried to uninstall IE7?
    'Start'>All Programs'>'Accessories'>'System Tools'>'System Restore'. This opens the Restore Wizard. Make sure the 'Restore My Computer to an Earlier Time' button is 'checked' (it is normally 'checked' by default)>'Next'. Select a date/time before you tried to uninstall IE7 and follow the prompts. Your system will reboot.
    Assuming you can, and have done, a 'System Restore' - Go to Add/Remove Programs and when the window opens make sure the 'Show Updates' box at the top is 'checked'.
    Highlight the entry for IE7 and click remove. Your system should automatically revert to IE6 when you remove IE7.
    Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Hi - System Restore doesn't work so that option is not available unfortunately. Maybe I should do another topic to see if anyone can solve that problem for me!
    Thanks for your suggestion.

cdm

When you start up the computer keep your finger on F8
    Choose to go to Safe Mode. Try removing IE 7 from the Add/Remove programs in Safe Mode.
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Remember in the Add/remove to check the box at the top 'show updates'. You should be able to remove IE7 and if necessary, download 6 from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en . Your HJT log has been forwarded to the Spyware Help Forum, I strongly suggest if you decide to download or reinstall IE6 to resubmit a new HJT log to that post. Please do not start new threads while the experts check out your log ... it can be very confusing and frustrating for those trying to help.