Default Internet Explorer 7

Hello all,

Last night I was prompted to upgrade my internet explorer to a newer version (a version I don't like as much as the old one I might add!). Once my computer had finished with the upgrade, it asked me to personalise it before I begin. I think that I mistakingly added a new firewall when I upgraded because this morning, I can't seem to open some programs that I had no trouble with last night.

I normally just use the Windows Firewall, which I think works fine. Can anyone explain to me how I might be able to rid whatever firewall I might have accumulated last night.

As always, really appreciate any help. Wishing you all happy holidays,

Phalex

Hi phalex - Do a 'System Restore' back to before you installed the new IE7. Do you know how to do this? You are better off without IE7 until all the bugs are sorted out.
    Or - Uninstall IE7 through 'Add/Remove Programs'. Your system should automatically revert to IE6 when you uninstall 7.
    Windows Firewall is better than nothing, but there are free Firewalls that are far superior. Zone Alarm is one and is available here -
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...try=GB&lang=en
    When you link to the page you want the free download on the extreme right of the list. You can ignore the 'Free 15 day Trial' bit, this Firewall is free for as long as you use it only for personal use. You will need to turn off the Windows Firewall if you decide to use Zone Alarm.
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

There was a problem with the Zone Alarm link but it's now sorted out.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks for the advice. I've uninstalled internet explorer 7 and am back on explorer 6. A lot happier now, thank you.

I wanted to ask though. I don't know how to do a system restore. I actually posted a different message about trying to retrieve some word documents that I accidentally wiped off my computer. Would it be possible to get those back by doing a system restore?

Many thanks.

Hi - To do a ‘System Restore.

‘Start’>‘All Programs’>‘Accessories’>‘System Tools’>‘System Restore’. This opens the Wizard.
    Make sure the ‘Restore My Computer to an Earlier Time’ button is ‘checked’ (it usually is by default)>‘Next’.
    You will see two small windows, in the left-hand side is a calendar. You will see that some of the days are in Bold. If you click on one of these bold dates it will show all available ‘Restore Points’, for that particular date, in the right-hand window. Select the Point that you want and then click ‘Next’. The ‘Confirm Restore Point Selection’ window opens. Read the details to make sure that the date/time is the time you want to go back to. Click ‘Next’. The pc will reboot and return to the settings as they were at the date/time you selected. Please note: Any programmes that you have installed since your chosen ‘Restore Point’ will be lost. You are given an option to ‘Undo’ the ‘Restore’ you have just carried out if you want.

I always make a point of ‘Creating a Restore Point’ before installing new programmes then if there are any problems with the installation it is easy to ‘Restore’ back to before you started that particular installation.

When you are happy with the way things are running, you can go back into ‘System Restore’, as detailed above, only this time… When the Wizard opens , on the left-hand side you will see ‘System Restore Settings’, click on this and another window opens. Hold your mouse over the slider bar and move it to 6%. Click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’. This will free up some space on your Hard Drive.
    Regards.