Default I can't connect to the internet

Time for the most basic computer statement of all time: I can't connect to the internet.

I've been using a laptop at work as a secondary computer for about a month. I usually connect with a wireless card at work, but I've also connected with a regular CAT5 cable too. It's always worked. Anyways I have to do work over the holidays so I brought my laptop with me and... yep... it won't connect to the internet.

Right now Im trying to just get it to connect to a cable modem connection. When I plug in the CAT5 the 2 little computers come up in my taskbar but it cant connect and it says "The connection has limited or no connectivity". So I right click and choose Repair. It says "Renewing your IP address" for awhile and then it says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because te following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address".

Then I tried "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew"... The result is "An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out". This is strange to me because when I check the TCP/IP settings it shows "DHCP Enabled".

Im stumped, and to be honest every time Ive ever plugged a cable into a computer its always just found my connection and connected to the net automatically. Whats strange is that this laptop worked fine at work and now wont work at home.

Can anyone advise? If I cant get this thing connected over the holidays Im pretty screwed.

Thanks!

[keith]

What Im using:

Dell Latitude laptop
    Windows XP SP2
    Cable internet/modem

Sometimes it can be as simple as unplugging router/modem for 30 seconds an trying again .

Try Zep's suggestion first. If that doesn't work follow these instructions.

(1) Click Start
    (2) Click Run
    (3) Type cmd
    (4) Click Ok
    (5) This will open the command prompt, type the following command and hit the enter key.

(command is case sensitive) Type it exactly as I have it here

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

(this command rebuilds the tcp/ip stack and will usually correct connection problems)

(6) Restart the computer and try to connect.

Does this resolve your problem? If not please let us know.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

cdm

After zep & bear's suggestions if it still doesn't work - try going into your Device Manager - select your network card and uninstall it. The computer will ask you to reboot - and click yes. Let the pc reboot and find and reinstall your network card. Sometimes just with a reset you might get your internet working.
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Are you using the same ISP at home as you do at work.
    If so the work connection setup may differ to that from home. EG you may be connection through a server or another computer, plus the modem is probably different.
    I suggest you create a new connection and configure it for using at home.
    You can then choose between the two connections at any time.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks!! Simply unplugging the modem for a few minutes worked... I've never had to do that before when plugging this cable into my computers, but resetting the modem definitely worked.

I also created a seperate "Home" connection for my work laptop to use seperate from work.

Luckily I was able to get connected over the holidays and get my work done.

Thanks all!

- Keith

Thanks for letting us know keith 555.

Glad to hear you got the problem resolved Keith, thank you for letting us know what worked for you.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.