Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default computer will not communicate with monitor

my monitor suddenly went blank one day but the computer was still turned on and seemed to be working as usual. i plugged my old computer in and the monitor works fine. the computer is an emachine. anyone have any idea's what it could be?
    thanks

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Well, try putting the newer one back and make sure connection is secure ... if no joy, take it in to be tested.

I'll assume you are using some type of windows operating system?

Try booting up into safe mode, usually done by tapping F8 key during start up. Does the monitor work now?

If so a damaged or corrupt driver is your problem. You need to uninstall it from device manager, then reinstall the video driver.

If this does not work then it has to be a hardware issue. Most likely your graphics card needs replaced, or even your motherboard if we are talking about on board graphics.

I'm assuming you used the same cable to connect both times to rule that out.

i'm using windows xp. i tried in safe mode and still nothing on the monitor. my video card is a box attached to the mother board i guess it is and i tried putting the card out of the good one in the other one and still nothing. i also tried it in safe mode but no luck. any idea's?

cdm

Did you try taking out the video card in your old computer and installing it on this one? It might not work depending on how old the old computer is. Also check your monitor connector - make sure all the pins are there and check if any are bent. Do u hear any beeps after you boot up?
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

no beeps, starts up, just a blank screen on the monitor. the video card in the screwed up comp is absolutely nothing like the one on this comp. this is actually a card to plug in the slots. the other is a box attached to the mother board

Your post aren't very clear as to whether the bad PC video card is part of the mother board or is it a plug in (fits in long skinny slot) video card.

BG

the the one in the screwed up comp is attached to the mother board. the one in the comp that is working fits into the skinny slots. i took the card out of this comp that is working and put it in spare slot in the comp that is not working and still nothing. what i would like to do is get my pics and files off the other but i can't see anything on the screen. does anyone know how i could transfer these things to my good computer?

What motherboard is it? Our machines keep doing this and we found it was the naff motherboard, so we have had them all replaced, if it is a new machine this may be the case

We have MSI boards and they dont work too well
    Dave Colgate
    ICT Technician
    Manhood Community College
    West Wittering Primary School
    East Wittering Parochial School
    Seal Primary School

i'm not sure what the motherboard is but the video card is nvidia geforce4 mx. is it possible just to pull the stuff i want off the old one onto this one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast