Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mystery printers added to my machine.

While recently installing a new printer on my system I discovered four unknown printers listed as installed in the printers directory of my control panel.
    I have never used another printer on this system and can only surmise that they were created with an intrusion of some sort.
    I need to find out how they were installed, when and by whom.
    Resolving this issue is much more important than the face value. In short, I feel that it is possibly connected to the abduction of my sister 32 years ago. This crime has never been solved and she has never been found. Why do I feel that this is possibly connected? I will give all information to he or she that is able to help me with this situation as well as full credit for their assistance should it pan out and have an actual result.
    If this is too intricate of an issue, I would also appreciate contacts to those who are capable of finding this information on my machine. If help on this site turns out to be fruitless I know what my next step will be but you folks are my first choice and first attempt to solve this issue.
    I built this system myself. My OS is XP Home Edition, upgraded, fire walled(by XP) and I run Norton Security Suite. Please do not hesitate to ask if more information is needed.
    Thank you all in advance for your attention and your assistance!
    Comrad

Really very sorry that you have no closure on your sister absence.

What are the names of these printers ? The program that you used to install your printer could have contained more than one printer program.

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Basementgeek
    Really very sorry that you have no closure on your sister absence.

What are the names of these printers ? The program that you used to install your printer could have contained more than one printer program.

BG
    BG, Thanks for your response. While I understand that there is a possibility of an auto install I will tell you that there are three HP's and one Epson added to my system. My original printer was a Lexmark.
    The real clue that got me going is a personalized name on one of the printers,(sisters name)-DESKTOP.
    Sure it may be nothing but I must research it before taking further steps.

Lets see if we can find the date these programs were first loaded.

Go start button > Search> Enter Epson check the All files and folders.

Let it run.

What you are looking for are File folders.

Right click on those folder icons>Properties.

What date were they created ?

Do the same for the HP printers.

Do a search for your sister's name also.

BG

Default Thanks BG

Thanks BG,
    I had done searches but upon your sugguestion I did further searches and found nothing. Not even the named file that I can see in my control panel. It must be hidden somewhere in a Trojan Horse or something. I also wonder why printers do not show up in my Device Manager Hardware Profiles.
    The name of the file that I am seeking is:

Auto hp deskjet 940c (Copy 1)
    on LORI-DESKTOP

exactly as typed. I hope that this info may lead you to more advice.
    I will stay posted.
    Thanks, Comrad

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I've just gone through the same thing as this. I had to reinstall XP, and even though I had my printer (and other members of the family also had their own) we have them all on home network. After installing I had to recreate the Home Network, one of the questions when setting up is 'do you want to share printers' or words to that effect ... I said yes, and for what ever reason(s) XP decided to make a duplicate printer on all four PCs and they were identified by the names we have ascribed to each (eg. Canuck's printer, etc).. Just a case of going into Control Panel, rt click on extra printers and delete. Printers are the exception, in that they don't appear in Hardware and are controlled from Printers in Control Panel. Again, why? Just one of your basic Microsoft mysteries (I'm sure they have a logical reason :wink: ).

As far as Lori's name being attached to the address, perhaps at one time an account, password or some other file was created and identified as Lori. If you need to read something into this, how about a gentle nudge to remember someone who was near and dear to you. Stranger things have happened.

Thanks Canuck,
    I'm sure that you know your stuff but this is a PERSONAL computer meaning I am the only user. I am the builder of this machine. I would not mistakenly name a file as such. Also why would unneeded printer files be on my computer?
    Your help is appreciated.
    Comrad

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is an intriguing problem!

The way that the printer was named, (i.e. "on Lori-Desktop") leads me to believe that another computer was somehow networked to your computer, and the Windows auto-discovery feature had added them to your PC.

Auto-discovery of shares and printers can be turned on/off by going to
    Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View and unchecking the option for Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers

Now, the question in my mind is, how did another PC network with your computer?

If I may ask, what kind of Internet connection do you use? Is it dial-up, DSL, cable, or something else? (If you have Internet through your cable, that might explain it). Also, do you live in a house or an apartment?

The reason I ask is, if your Internet connection is somehow a shared connection (like cable), then perhaps it was set up in such a way that you could see other's PCs on the network.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Default Printers

Hi Oscar,
    Thanks for your attention. I think you have a grasp on this. The fact that it is named (Copy 1) tells me that it was placed on the desktop(of the other computer)for easy access. Also three other printers makes it look to me like several attempts to print something off of my machine rather than a simple mistake. The funny thing is that there is really nothing on my machine that anyone would be interested in accept possibly family photos.
    I am running high speed cable internet in an apartment.
    BREAKING NEWS:
    As I checked my internet connection just now I found to be set up with the following:

Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks
    QoS Packet Scheduler
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Each with a checked box to the left. I have unchecked them.

I hope this info helps in some way.
    Comrad

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You'll need the TCP/IP one checked, and the QoS is a good idea. You should definitely leave File and Print sharing turned off.

The way cable works is, everyone shares the network connection to the router (works more like a hub than like a switch). Therefore, you would be able to see other people who have the same Cable Internet service and are connected to the same router. This might mean people on the same floor of the apartment building, or even the whole apartment building!

Now, combine that with File/Print sharing over TCP/IP, and auto-discovery of printers, and that explains everything. Your computer was seeing other PCs on the network that also had File/Print sharing turned on and had shared printers. It auto-discovered them, so it created Printer icons for you to use.

Similarly, other people in your building or floor that had the same settings turned on, would be able to see your printers (if they were shared at all) or any shared folders.

I hope this makes sense!
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast