Default grinding noise from pc

when i switch my computer on after its been off all day, for about 1 minute while its loading everything up it makes a strange grinding noise, but once it gets going it seems fine! it was recently at the computer shop being looked at for a graphics card problem and i told the computer expert to listen out for this noise when ever he switched it on, he reported back to me that he herd nothing and pc is fine, so i take it home and sure enough no noises coming from pc when switched on, but after giving the pc a long sleep that night i switch it on in the morning and there it is again, the only thing i can think of is it dosent like the long periods of being switched off, or the cold at night time is making its joints stiff! like an old man finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning, but its a brand new computer. someone suggested to me that it might be the fan touching a wire inside, as it does sound like when you stick a bit of wire or something similar at a spinning fan, shall i open the pc and have a look or is that a bad idea to expose its bits to the elements, it might get a chill as well or even a cold! what to do i dont know, but im sick of forking out money on this damn thing, its costing me a bomb and a bit. OH and its a home built pc of ebay.

Open the case and before reaching inside be sure to touch a bare metal place on the case to release any static charge. Look around inside the case and make sure none of the wires are coming close to or touching the fan blades. If they are very carefully move the wires away from the fan blades. If no wires are making contact with the fan blades it might be the hard drive making the noise. Get a piece of hose (garden hose or any other rubber hose you can find) and place one end of the hose to your ear and the other end on or near the hard drive. Listen very carefully for any grinding noise coming from the drive. If you find the hard drive is where the noise is coming from it may be time to back up any data you don't want to loose before the hard drive crashes. Good luck & please keep us posted on the outcome.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This may sound so simple but check the surrounds where you have the computer and make sure nothing is rubbing up against any case or power supply fan.
    Also if the tech listened with the cover off then the cover may be pushing a wire or lead into the CPU or another fan.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

how do i backup data in case the hard drive crashes, and what would be classed as important data, most of the stuff on pc has been downloaded and if lost can be easily downloaded again.