Thread: Firewall Setup

Default Firewall Setup

I would like your thoughts on turning off Window XP's built-in firewall and using the two-way firewall, ZoneAlarm Pro.
    Is it worthwhile? Is it easy to setup? thanks for any help cheers Jim.

Personally I would turn off the Windows firewall and use the ZoneAlarm firewall. You mentioned using ZoneAlarm Pro, that version does cost, but if you are interested ZoneAlarm does have a free version for personal use which I use.
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...try=US&lang=en

Plus if you try the free version and do not like it, you uninstall it and you are not out any money :wink:

Comodo has a free firewall also
    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

The Windows XP firewall is better than no firewall at all but it is very limited. It will only monitor incoming traffic and not outgoing traffic. That being said you will be far better off with Zone Alarm free edition or another free firewall available out there on the net. You really need two way protection incoming as well as outgoing. Without outgoing protection your computer should it become infected with a trojan can send all kinds of information out without your permission. ZA is easy to configure and use and is also proven to be one of the best of the free firewalls out there on the net. JMHO

Howdy woodcock23, If you use ZoneAlarm you will need to turn XP's firewall off as it conflicts with ZoneAlarm and you will get false positives and some of the processes will not work because of XP's firewall will simply not let them function.
    For what it's worth (my opinion that is) I am using ZoneAlarm Security suite on my XP boxes and am quite happy with it but i have quite a few custom rules set up. But depending on YOUR network setup and level of experience may should be able to happily and safely get away with just putting up with the Alert Advisor and answering Allow or Deny and checking or unchecking the Remeber this setting check box. After a few days these gradually disappear depending on your above choice and usage. All in all it is quite easy to set up, security suite takes a bit more though. As far as bieng worthwhile.... when researching/dissasembling malware it has caught more than a few rogue connection attempts that I missed (not to say that another firewall app wouldn't of though).

Here's a couple of examples for you,

You might want to hit the kill button if the one on the right pops up out of the blue

As mentioned above if you can put up with these (They are pretty much standard in most Firewall and AV apps these days anyway) Your firewall will learn what apps and services you want to run unchecked and will alert you when other are trying to call home....or elsewhere.
    Well that's my 5 cents worth (no 1's or 2's here anymore)
    Cheers, Lucent.

Sorry folks I am late repyling to your answers to my post I am going to install Zonealarm thanks for your help and time.cheers Jim

Your welcome

Hi Bear
    I just now downloaded Zonealarm free and viewed the tutorial and now I will have a lot of boxes coming up to set up my usual website visiting? I think that is how it goes.cheers Jim

Hi - Just check the 'Remember this Setting', box for your regular/trusted sites, when the window pops up. This will stop the Zone Alarm notice appearing for that particular site. Best thing I did was switching from Norton to AVG and Zone Alarm. No more contact with Norton
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Yes thanks for the help Bob I have done the ticks on a few sites now- it all looks fairly straight forward.
    Norton; ugh! Did I have trouble with Norton- what I cannot work out is Norton must be one of the largest products in the field and they have thousands of users who all seem happy with it :?: :? cheers Jim