Default Windows default sounds disappeared

When I go to the control panel to restore them, all the entries are blank. I could find various wave files and restore them one by one (it would take an hour or more) but am wondering if it's possible to do it en masse? That is, to restore the original "sound scheme."

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

In the Sounds window, can you click on the drop down sound scheme bar and select Windows Default? That should do it.

Well I thought so too, but no. As I said, all the entries under "default" are blank? There are only two options, default, which is blank, and no sounds, which is of course blank too. It's a mystery alright.

Kellys corner #6 has an option to restote default sounds, be aware it's a registry change so set a restore point- Also a system restore to a time when things were working may help-

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Zep

Click Start, click Run, type sfc /scannow, hit the enter key. This will search for and replace any missing or corrupted Windows system files. You will need to visit the Windows Updates website to reinstall all of the critical and security updates. This should correct you problem with Windows default sounds. Keep us posted on your progress correcting this issue.

Ran the sfc /scan now. Took about half an hour for the scan. When it was thru, there was no message saying yes everything is ok, or no it is not. The scan box just disappeared. Anyway, when I went back to try and restore the sounds, all the places still were blank. I went back and ran the sfc /scannow a second time, thinking maybe I had done it wrong. Same thing. Thanks for trying. Will keep at it. rgds