Default odd problem(could be hardware but im not sure)

the problem is that i can turn on my PC but the screen is blank . it had happened before but i tried fixing it and after about a week it started working again, and i have no reason why. it then worked for about a week and now again the same thing has happened, my PC is all open and evrything, i've reseated my vid card and whatnot but to no avail. btw how hot should a PC heatsink get, like mine is pretty hot to the touch. anything to help would be great.
    specs:
    AMD x2 4200
    eVGA 7800GT
    A8N SLi Deluxe
    Seagate 250gb
    1 gig OCZ

Default Re: odd problem(could be hardware but I'm not sure)

Quote Originally Posted by miskari
    my PC is all open and everything
    I think (if I'm understanding what you mean here) that you have the covers off of your PC, is that correct? If so that is part of the problem, leaving the side covers off of a computer defeats the purpose of the cooling system designed for the PC. Even 1 PCI or AGP slot cover that is missing can cause a PC to run hot. The case is designed to push the heat out through vents that are located away from any system components that could possibly overheat. When you leave the case wide open your exposing all of the components to heat and that can cause very serious overheating problems. Think of it this way, the heat has to escape right? If all of the covers are in place and the slot covers are all there the heat will be pushed out through the case vents that are designed for this purpose. If the case covers are off, or if the slot covers are missing the heat isn't pushed or pulled out of the case keeping it away from the components. With the side covers off or slot covers missing the heat can damage components because it isn't being correctly exhausted. Do yourself a favor, put the covers back on the PC and if any slot covers are missing replace them as well. Doing so will make your PC run cooler.

i hear what you are saying, but there are still 2 fans running in the PC (1 intake 1 exhaust) i only have the cover off, that has one fan but i dont think thats a huge problem. the problem didnt start because of this, but vice-versa i opened up my PC to see if there were any connection problems or anything. but i didn't bother to put the side door back on bcs i thought i might need to open it up again. well i'll try putting it back on and see if my PC will boot anyway.

You could try a different monitor and verify that it's not an intermittent monitor problem- esp if it's a crt type. And you always have the option to reinstall the eVGA 7800GT drivers, never know, so far you checked all connections an reseated card so your ahead in that area.

Zep

bah, i hate that i have to kee bothering you guys with this lol. but yea, i have tried a different monitor, changed around the monitor connection (both LCD's, recently bought) i would re-install drivers if i could but if i cant even get a screen to display i cant do anything i might have to take this to some1 to verify some hardware problem maybe.

BTW how much of a beating can the PCI-e slots take before getting unusable, i dunno but there seems to be a little 'chip' on the inside of the smaller slot, i might try and take a picture tomorrow.

I thought the problem was intermitten, could be slot, a bent connector or something- I would guess a shop would replace the card at this point and take it from there, not sure if you have done that, Is there only 1 slot? Hard to tell by looking if a slot is going to function or not, unless it is real clear in the photo of a poor connection problem,even if the slot looks a 100% good to the eye it may be bad any way-

Zep