Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows XP won't boot NTLDR is missing msg

Sony Vaio Laptop started up and gave me the Safe Mode choice screen...I meant to open in safe, but hit enter and opened in normal mode. Then it would not boot, would not enter safe mode with F8 key and gives a NTLDR is missing msg.
    Went online on my desktop. Created a boot disk (pebuilder to make an ISO CD). However, the laptop still won't boot -- doesn't seem to read the CD boot disk. I have gotten to the System BIOS with the F2 key, but don't know what, if anything to do there!
    Please do not think that I actually know what I am doing here - just following instructions from good folks like you.
    I must admit that I changed the startup stuff on the laptop - trying to keep Norton from loading (I put a downloaded a different antivirus system) - so I definitely created this problem. Please help me in spite of this! Thank You.
    Democracy is based upon the conviction that there are extraordinary possibilities in everyday people. -Harry Emerson Fosdick

Default Re: Windows XP won't boot NTLDR is missing msg

Quote Originally Posted by wyostoval
    Then it would not boot, would not enter safe mode with F8 key and gives a NTLDR is missing msg.
    Do you have the option for last known good configation when you use F8 on start up?

Is there any more to the error message then NTLDR is missing? If so please write it down and give it to us exactly as it appears.

For future reference don't try to just disable another antivirus before installing another. Remove it completely first - which Norton is difficult to do at times. Only one running antivirus and one firewall at a time on a system.
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Member Help2Go Moderator

ok so it seems as though you have access to another computer. Here's what you do. Grab a formatted floppy disk (just a blank one that's formatted, you don't want this to be "bootable). Now, go to a windows XP machine (hopefully the computer you're using to reply to us is also a XP machine) and then view hidden files/folders and also hidden operating system files and folders (in the "tools" > "folder options" > "view" tab of Explorer [not INTERNET explorer]). Once you've done that copy these files to the floppy...

boot.ini, ntdetect.com, and ntldr

all located directly on the C: drive

Note: If you don't have access to another winXP machine go to the machine you're using to reply to us and stick in the winxp cdrom. Copy ntdetect.com and ntldr from the cdrom and you can create a boot.ini file I'll tell you how to do this later.

Once you copied the 3 files to the floppy disk open the boot.ini file with notepad.

THe file should look something like this...

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home"

In the section under [operating systems] you'll see the one line below it. You're going to add something to it.

Basically, you're going to change..
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home"

to

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /SOS
    (notice the space between the " and the /)

If there's something else listed with a switch (a switch is the / in the line) like so

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /Fastdetect

Just add /SOS after /Fastdetect to the other switch like so..

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /Fastdetect /SOS

Now after you've made that change click "file" then "save" in notepad to save the edited boot.ini file to the floppy.

Now, take that floppy out of the computer that's working and stick it in your non working 2000 machine and make sure that the BIOS is set to boot from floppy first. Turn the computer on and then it should go through the "normal" startup (of course normal in the sense it should actually boot to windows but of course it won't work because you're having issues). While it's loading it should list all the drivers and services it's loading during startup. Watch the screen carefully and let me/us know what file it gets stuck on or what the last 2 files are that load before hte machine restarts or takes a dive.

Partie™

Oh yeah, forgot the boot.ini file. If you don't have access to a working win2k machine then you can create the boot.ini file by opening a new notepad file and then copying and pasting this into it

Code:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /SOS

Just click "File" then "save as" and save it as "boot.ini" (WITH QUOTES IN THE FILENAME BOX when saving) onto your floppy disk

Now, the above example of the boot.ini file as assuming a lot of things.

Assumptions:
    1.) You have only 1 hard drive in your computer
    2.) That single hard drive has only 1 partition OR if it has more than 1 partition windows is installed on the first partition of the drive
    3.) That you used the default Windows XP setup (meaning the Windows system folder is C:\WINDOWS)

If the above doesn't work like I said it should, then tell me about your hard drive(s) and tell me how you have them setup and I'll create the boot.ini for you. I just need to know where Windows is installed and on what hard drive (primary/secondary) and on what partitoin (1, 2, or 3, etc.etc.) and also what folder the windows system files are located in (Usually either C:\Windows or C:\WINDOWS)

Hopefully this isn't too hard for you to follow. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them as easily as possbile.

Partie™

Default Thank you, Thank you! Will a CD work?

I appreciate your very thorough answer. Both the desktop - that I am writing on - and the laptop are Sony Viaos running Windows XP. However, I did NOT get software disks with either one. The desktop has a floppy, but the laptop does NOT. Can a CD work?

Am going to do exactly as instructed, but try the CD now.

The desktop has more than one drive (partition?), but Windows is on the C drive. The laptop has only one - I believe - and that is the C drive.

The rest of the error message for the NDLDR missing is:
    Press ctrl, alt, delete to restart

That works, but it comes back to the same error.

I CAN get to setup with the F2 key, but F8 and all other keys do nothing on loading or after the error message (except make an annoying beep if held too long!).
    Again, thanks. I am sorry for the delay, I had signed up to get an email when a reply was posted, so was waiting for that.
    Linda
    Democracy is based upon the conviction that there are extraordinary possibilities in everyday people. -Harry Emerson Fosdick

Default Copied files for NTLDR prob

Okay, I searched my desktop and found the three files to copy. However, the ONLY boot.ini file was boot.ini.backup. It says the same thing as yours, but had this on the end: "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

This is what it says now:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /SOS

I changed the partitions number from 2 to 1 in both places...
    It is, however, listed as configuration settings in FILE TYPE on the floppy. I am going to put the files on a CD and set my laptop to go to the CD first...though I am not hopeful.

Will I need an external floppy drive?
    Thanks again. I will try it, report and await your reply/instructions.
    Linda

Default CD did NOT work

As I am sure you know, the CD would not work. Please advise and thanks again for your help. If an external floppy would work, I can get one somewhere...
    Linda

Member Help2Go Moderator

it's more tha likely because the CD is not bootable. Try this out

http://tinyempire.com/notes/files/fixntldriso.zip . You will unzip the file in there. It'll be a .iso. Whatever burning software you have open that extracted file with it and then put it into your laptop making sure you have it set to boot from cdrom first.

Partie™

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Section :CD-R CD-R/W

Default Tried it - got a new message!

Thanks for the new information. I tried the .iso file and this is what happened:
    With the drives set in this order: CD, Floppy(there isn't one), Network, HDD
    AND with the Sony Animation OFF (whatever that is -- I assumed it was that VIAO screen that comes up first, but it comes up anyway), this is the sequence of screen messages:

1) Sony VIAO screen (with tiny Press F12 for Network Setup that was not there before)

2) Initializing
    Intel Boot Agent FE V4.1.13
    PXE 2.1 Build 084 (WFM 2.0)

3) VIAO screen with Press F12 message

4) Initializing and establishing link...

5) Intel Boot Agent FE V4.1.13
    Copyright 1997-2004 Intel Corporation

PXE - E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE - M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

NTLDR is missing
    Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

It does appear to go to the hdd, but also to read the disc - it did not read the other discs.

I am hopeful, because it is a different message! Should I be????

I tried pressing the F12 key one of the many times I restarted, but it gave the same message. The laptop has a wireless connection to the ACTIONTEC modem, if that has ANYTHING to do with this...

Anything else I should try with this or other information you could use?
    I thank you again for your work and patience...
    Linda

Member Help2Go Moderator

What sofware are you using to burn the disc? If Nero you have to make sure to check the box "Finalize CD after burning". Any other software just make sure you aren't burning in multisession mode. If you don't finalize CD Nero doesn't make it bootable. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

Partie™

Default New disk with NERO, same result

I downloaded Nero and made a disc with it (and NERO seems to make my computer wacky -- I think it has in the past, too!). I got the exact same messages AND discovered that it doesn't matter if the disc is in the drive or not, the same messages that I wrote last night appear.

Am getting ever closer to launching the computer off the roof...see if that helps. :wink:

Will wait for further instructions or plan for launching.

Thanks for your continued help!
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast