Thread: Account Chaos

Default Account Chaos

Hello !

Today some strange stuff has been happening. First I went to Amazon to make a purchase, but when it came time to give my username/password it didn't register. It didn't even acknowledge the email address I used to create the account ! I tried all my other email addresses and it acknowledged one that I never even use ! Then, when it signed me in under this email address it was a totally different person's account ! I tried clicking the "this is not me" link, but ended up in a vicious circle. (I did all this using Firefox.)

Then I went to ioffer to make a purchase. I was now using IE6, since I didn't know if there was something wrong with FF. Somehow I was automatically signed in under someone else's username !! I logged out and attempted to sign in under my own username and password, but it wouldn't acknowledge me. Then, when asking for my password to be sent to my email address, I was once again confronted with the fact that the email address I used (and always use) for my account was NOT the one that finally registered with the computers !! Then, when my password was sent to my account at this secondary email address of mine, it was someone else's username and password !!!

So, it couldn't be the websites themselves, since they're unrelated. And it couldn't have been the browser, since I tried two different ones with similar results.

Any explanations for this chaotic situation ?

Scott

I don't really have any explanations on why this happened, but see if running a disk cleanup helps or run something a little stronger like Cleanup. It could be a corrupt cookie or something in the cache. Below is instructions for Cleanup

Please download Cleanup! and install it.

*NOTE* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temporary folders and does not make backups.

WARNING: Do not run cleanup under Windows XP x64 Edition. If you're not sure if you have the 64-bit version of Windows then you probably do not; however, you can check by using IE to download the whichcpu tool and then running it.

Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
    Set the program up as follows:

Click "Options..."
    Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
    Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
    • Empty Recycle Bins
    • Delete Cookies
    • Delete Prefetch files (if present)
    • Cleanup! All Users
    • Click on the Temporary Files tab and uncheck the box for Scan drives for files matching if it’s checked.
    Click OK
    Press the CleanUp! button to start the program and reboot when prompted.

Let us know if this helps
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Clark76
    I don't really have any explanations on why this happened, but see if running a disk cleanup helps or run something a little stronger like Cleanup. It could be a corrupt cookie or something in the cache. Below is instructions for Cleanup

Please download Cleanup! and install it.

*NOTE* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temporary folders and does not make backups.

Let us know if this helps

Hi !

Thanks for the reply.

I did recently put my computer through a fairly complete maintenance procedure: defrag, anti-virus scan, spybot, ad-aware scans, ccleaner.

I am wondering: is CCleaner similar enough to Cleanup! to make the latter unnecessary ? I just thought I'd ask before I go through the process of downloading and running the program.

Thanks again !

Scott

If you ran CCleaner don't bother using Cleanup. They do about the same thing.

If you have access to another computer try logging on to your account and see if the problem persists. It sounds like the problem might be on their end. If it is I would contact them and try to get it resolved.

Here is Amazon's customer service number:

800-201-7575
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Anytime you have problems accessing an account or find you email address is being used by someone else forget about fiddling with your system.
    First step is freeze your credit card. Have a new one issued if necessary or get a Debit Card.
    Also contact Amazon and explain the situation.
    I would also be changing passwords and using strong ones.
    I use KeePass to generate and securely save my passwords. It means I no longer have to type any details in logon screens.
    RoboForm is another popular password manager.
    Do not hesitate.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark76
    If you ran CCleaner don't bother using Cleanup. They do about the same thing.

If you have access to another computer try logging on to your account and see if the problem persists. It sounds like the problem might be on their end. If it is I would contact them and try to get it resolved.

Here is Amazon's customer service number:

800-201-7575

Thanks !

I tried it on another computer and it worked okay. I haven't yet re-tried it on my own computer, so I don't know whether it was fixed at their end in the meantime or whether it's still something problematic with my own computer. I did contact Amazon when it happened and got an email directing me to a faq page and further contact information if I needed it. (Thanks for the phone number, btw !) I may call them to report this incident even if my computer starts working properly again.

Thanks for your input !

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by whoozhe
    Anytime you have problems accessing an account or find you email address is being used by someone else forget about fiddling with your system.
    First step is freeze your credit card. Have a new one issued if necessary or get a Debit Card.
    Also contact Amazon and explain the situation.
    I would also be changing passwords and using strong ones.
    I use KeePass to generate and securely save my passwords. It means I no longer have to type any details in logon screens.
    RoboForm is another popular password manager.
    Do not hesitate.
    Thanks for the input, whoozhe ! Of course, now you got me scared that I might be a victim of identity fraud or something. (I realize that's always a possiblity when ordering things online.)

I appreciate the information about password managers !

Scott