Default C:\hp\bin\killwind.exe

My McAfee virus program keeps finding C:\hp\bin\killwind.exe - when I try to remove it, it says it could not remove the entire program and the next time McAfee runs it finds it again and give me the same message when I try to remove it.

Any idea what this is - I can't find any information on it.

Thanks

Hi - I found this on another site -
    "I was assisting someone with a problem with her computer and came across these files. I contacted HP and was told that the killwind, terminator, cloaker, spawn and fondlewindow executables are part of the Backweb program that HP installs on all Pavilion PC's. Backweb enables HP to connect directly to a PC while it is online (simply connected to an ISP - doesn't matter if the browser is open or not) so that it can "push" content and program updates.

While the tech support person who wrote back to me when I emailed them said that the files were "essential" for proper system operation, further investigation using HP's own support documentation shows that you can uninstall the Backweb program through the Add/Remove Programs utility in Windows Control Panel. HP, of course, does not recommend doing this.

My take is that if your system is out of warranty, is operating properly, and Mr. Gerrans' sense of humor in naming and describing the files offends you, just uninstall Backweb. Of course, this is just my personal opinion, does not reflect HP's recommendations, etc... "

Hope this helps explain it.

If you want to keep it, you could add this to McAfee as 'trusted' and this should stop the warning.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

My McAfee also discovered this (Rem-Adm-PSkill or file name C:\hp\bin\killwind.exe). Try going to your start menu, click on search,when search box opens,go to all files and folders,then at "ALL or part of the File Name, type in C:\hp\bin\killwind.exe, when search finds it ,try and delete from there. Hope this helps you.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Thanks for your input Groundpounder, but this post is 3 years old. It's most likely solved by now.