Default AOL and AIM trouble

when i am on trillian (and i have AIM as an account within trillian) i get an AIM message about my AIM account being open in 2 places, so i have to enter the number 1 into AIM to make the other location sign off,

but why does this happen ?

i read that if you have both AOL and AIM opened on the same computer, this can happen,

but i only have AIM opened, i have AOL installed but never use it, i only keep it if a friend wants to log onto AOL through my computer,

is AOL a nuisance? should i remove AOL altogether from my hard drive ?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You'll probably get a resounding 'yes' from our members to get rid of AOL. Very few of us use it, and when problems arise and we're asked about them, we usually refer them to AOL Help.

bad reputation, huh,

i mean i'm not even using AOL, it's just cold on my hard drive for safe keeping,

do you think the AOL is still sticking it's claws in my computer ?

Yes, bad rep.

Some people have to use AOL, as it is the only way (USA) can connect and get internet access.

AOL is a resource hog, AIM is know for passing on "nasty's" /causing problems (Probably because it is still very popular).

I think of AOL as this " I would rather serve in hell, than use AOL" :wink:

I have used it couple of times, during my travels, but only as a last resort.

BG

i don't like aol either,

i'm in new york city, usa, and i use verizon online dsl, or netscape,

i think maybe some out of the way places in the usa still have to use aol,

Member Help2Go Moderator

i only keep it if a friend wants to log onto AOL through my computer
    If there's anything relatively important that they need to check on AOL such as email it can all be done through the AOL website and if they absolutely need to talk to someone on their buddy list they can use your Trillian or AIM installation.

Also, the reason you're getting that message is a little strange, especially if you don't think you have used AIM on a different computer all day. What happens is that the AOL/AIM network knows when you signed on (say at your office) and if you forge to logoff and then go home and sign on then you get that message (because you're logged in, in more than one place) if you don't think that that should be happening then I'd suggest changing your AOL/AIM passwords.

Partie

i am just on this 1 computer, so i will change my password,

i have both Trillian and AIM installed on this computer,

could it be that when i open trillian, that trillian automatically opens AIM as well somehow ?

but AIM does not appear to open, visibly, on this computer,

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

First go into the programs and make sure in the options that the option to start up the program on bootup is not selected. As they may be running in the background do this .. Start >Run > type in msconfig >Startup tab > uncheck any boxes that relate to AOL, AIM etc. in fact, other than your virus program very few need to be running at startup> click OK and reboot. On reboot, click the box in the config window to 'not show message again' >OK.