Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NTLDR is missing ,XP Pro sp2 won't boot

As suggested I'm putting this as a new topic
    I've been searching around using google trying without luck to fix this problem. I have XP Pro sp2 on a Dell Inspiron 8000. I think what happened was I was using an offline download program and it seemed to be hung up so I shut down the computer. It may have filled up the C drive temp files folder so either there is no more room on C or its defragmented. I've tried "fixntldriso.exe" "bcupdate.exe". Making them bootable cd's when required but I usually end up in the dos like area where I have no idea what I'm doing and the instructions usually end about there. The biggest problem I seem to have is when I am told to copy certain files I get "access denied" messages. This file here is for XP Home. Do I need another for XP Pro? Thanks
    This was the reply (Thanks) from PartieHonteuse
    welcome to the forums. We would love to help you out, but, could you please start your own topic in the help forums by clicking "new topic". This way, it doesn't get confusing as to who we are helping. To answer a few of your questions:

fixntldriso.exe: did you go through all of the options that it brings up? I know they are in another language but go through each of those. I'm thinking that since you're on a Dell that it'll be the 2nd or 3rd option because of they way they have the hard drive partitioned.

bcupdate.exe: never heard of it or used it, sorry.

"dos like area where I have no idea what I'm doing and the instructions usually end about there." : when you type in "ver" and hit enter what does it display at the dos prompt?

Do I need another for XP Pro?: yes. Unfortunately I don't have access to an XP pro machine right now to send you those files. I will when I get home. Unless someone else on this forum that has XP Pro wouldn't mind zipping up their ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini files and attaching them to your new post.

Could you also post a link to the instructions you were given to fix this issue?

Thank You,

Partie

Member Help2Go Moderator

Thanks for starting your own topic. Now, could you please answer the questions that were asked in the previous topic. I know, give 'em a foot and they ask for a mile

Partie

Default NTLDR is missing reply to Partie

Thanks for the reply. This is the link from one of the sites I tried. http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

I'm using the cd option as no floppy drive with me. I see why I was (and still am confused) as I can't understand those directions. I just tried the fixntldr.iso again
    Its on the DOS like screen and a number of things are past but still a whole screen of messages from top to bottom:
    No Fat32 volumes found, exiting...
    NTFS Filesystem driver for DR-DOS version 1.200
    copyright (c) 2002-2004 Ahead Software and its licensors
    Usage ntfsread.exe [-u]
    Partition C:\ installed
    Partition D:\installed
    Partition E:\ installed

Search for USB HDD devices

USB Support successfully initialized
    NWCDEX.EXE Version 2.81 CD-OM file handler.
    Copyright (c) 1992,1997 Caldera Inc. All rights reserved
    Drive F: Driver 'MSCD001' unit 0
    Completed codepage prepare function
    Completed codepage select function
    NLSFUNC R4.00 National Language Support
    Copyright (c) 1988,1998 Caldera Inc. All rights reserved

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03
    Copyright (c) 1976,1998 Caldera,Inc. All rights reserved
    [DR-DOS] A:\>

He has all kind of options but none seem to tell me what to do in this case so thats where I stopped earlier. Thanks for the help with this. I've been fooling with it for a while now.

Default a further note on past attempts to fix this

I went to:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm#b

and tried:
    Windows XP users

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
    but I didn't know how to put the 2nd line in, as its written here. If I hit enter it..enters! But still thats where I got the message that access was denied?

Member Help2Go Moderator

while using the fixntldr.iso file what options did you go through? All of them or only a couple of them?

Partie

Default I don't see which is the next option

On the webpage http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm the next step is not clear its at
    [DR-DOS] A:\

He says:
    Once your computer gets past the BIOS screen your computer should try to access the floppy drive and you should see a black screen with white letters that says: (What if I don't see this screen?).

1ST TRY THIS seleccione esto primero
    2ND TRY THIS essayez ceci en deuzieme
    3RD TRY THIS wahlen Sie diesen Third
    4TH TRY THIS selezioni questo fourth
    5TH TRY THIS selecione este fifth
    6TH TRY THIS seleccione este sexto
    7TH TRY THIS essayez ceci en septieme
    8TH TRY THIS wahlen Sie dieses achte
    9TH TRY THIS selezioni questo nono
    10TH TRY THIS selecione este decimo

well, I what I wrote in my first reply is what I see,which is none of the above. If I follow the link to http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm#What_if_I_don't_see_this_screen?

Then I'm given so many possibilities or options, most of which I don't understand, I''m back to square one.

Default current screen

Is there a suggestion on what comes after
    [DR-DOS] A:\

? Thanks

Member Help2Go Moderator

I have never seen that screen before when using the .iso fix (the screen talking about DrDOS) and going to an A:> prompt. Are you sure you burned the correct thing and don't have a floppy in the drive and have set the BIOS to boot from CDRom drive first? If anything, take all floppy disks out of the drive(s). And make sure you have your computer to boot from cdrom first.

Partieā„¢

Thanks for the reply. 1st, there is no floppy in the laptop,but I checked the bios and cd rom is 1st and HDD is second. I also don't know why it goes to "A" which is normally the floppy. Normally its drives(partitions) C,E,F with windows on C. D is normally the cd drive. You mention files specific to xp pro sp2. If there is a way to get those I'd like to try them,, but am looking for directions that go from start to finish. This other page goes: do this but if you can't than click this link . Then it gives about 10 different things that may or may not be the problem.

Member Help2Go Moderator

It seems as though you're awake at this point. Wondering if you have any kind of messenger service so we're not going back and forth? If you do, let me know in a PM which messenger service you use and hopefully we can chat in real time to get this issue solved.

Partie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast