Default 0x80041310 error when trying to set up scheduled back-up

I have used the trick in Help2Go for booting up straight to desktop (no request for password) but now XP Pro's back-up scheduler tells me I don't exist. Do I have to choose between 'instant boot' and the ability to schedule back-ups?

Member Help2Go Moderator

To schedule a backup, whatever user you are using to schedule that backup has to have a password associated with that account. XP will not let a user run a scheduled task without having a password.

Partie™

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    To schedule a backup, whatever user you are using to schedule that backup has to have a password associated with that account. XP will not let a user run a scheduled task without having a password.

Partie™
    Thanks, Partie, but that is self-evident and doesn't actually answer my question, which was: do I have to choose between "instant boot" and the ability to schedule back-ups?

In other words, has "run control userpasswords2" removed my Administrator password from the system?

Geoff

Member Help2Go Moderator

no, just make sure that whatever user you used to automatically logon to windows has a password. If that user has a password then you can use that user to schedule a backup. If not, create a password for that user and then schedule your backups. If the user you have setup to automatically logon didn't have a password in the first place and you create one for them, you have to follow that tutorial again to make sure to enter the password in or the computer won't boot to the desktop.

Partie

Hi Partie,

I can boot straight into the desktop without being asked for a password so, if I understand you correctly, I must have a password, and yet the Scheduler is telling me that I haven't.

Are you telling me that use of 'control userpasswords2' and the ability to schedule back-ups are not mutually exclusive? If that is the case, then I must have some other problem.

Scheduled back-ups were running until I used 'control userpasswords2'. If the facilities are mutually exclusive then I would prefer to have a cast-iron back-up system.

Geoff

The answer to my original question appears to be "Yes, the use of 'control userpasswords2' and being able to set scheduled back-ups are mutually exclusive.

I have just restored the Administrator's password and can now schedule backups. On the other hand I have just rebooted and been asked for a password, which is exactly how things were before I ran 'control userpasswords2' to avoid being asked for a password!

Geoff

scroll down to Schedule tasks :

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

And passwords here

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

This is only additional information for your reading enjoyment and is not necessarily a solution.

Zep.

Thanks, Zep. These look very much like the combined answer to being able to eat the cake and still have it! Have to go now, but will report results tomorrow.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Zep,

Just put your reply into action. I now can boot straight into the desktop AND use the back-up scheduler.

Very many thanks.

Geoff