Default Invalid volume or drive

I am trying to install programs on my computer. I keep coming up with invalid drive at installation. I received the latest one when I tried to upgrade my adobe reader to 8.0. Here is the history.

I am running windows xp, with AMD xp 2500+, 40 gig. I have not partitioned my hard drive. I have a cd drive, cd burner drive and zip drive installed. I am using Norton Antivirus 2006/7 (upgraded by Norton). I have a seagate 100 gig external w/usb that I use for backups. My computer shows drives C, D, F and G. No E.

This problem started at the end of December when I had a problem during updates for my Norton Anti-Virus. I received an error message during my updates installation for Norton. I contacted Norton, they advised me to uninstall and reinstall. I uninstalled and tried to reinstall, I received a message invalid drive. Nothing worked. After numerous going back and forth with Norton I finally allowed them to remote access my computer and fix the install problem by them. I now have a new identity just to run Norton. I still have the problem with the missing or invalid drive.

I believe the missing drive might have something to do with my external drive. I believe the computer isn't recognizing that it isn't attached any longer. I do use the safe remove tool when I disconnect.

I have run system scan and nothing has popped up. I would like my drives back in order: C, D, E and F. I would like my computer to save to C drive. How do I fix this?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You can change the drive letters, in this case from G to E (or if you want F to E and G to F but in this order of change). Right click on My Computer > Manage > in the left pane click Storage + > Disk Management > right click the drive you want to change > Change Drive Letter and Paths > Change button > select the drive letter you want to change to > agree to the warning message and close (or continue to change the next drive).