Default I cannot get my computer to restore or my Drive E:\ to work

I am having several problems with my computer. I do not know what caused this mess or when it all happened.

I have 3 problems that are major, and 1 that I think is very minor.

Here are the 3 that I need fixed first.

1. E:\ is not accessible Incorrect function (error message that I get when trying to copy my folders to a blank disk.)

2. Sony CDRWDVD CRX310EE DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES
    Code 39 Location 0 (0)
    Maybe corrupted or missing (error that I receive)
    Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0 Microsoft Windows Publisher
    July 1,2001.

3. layer_r1pv1v2_aid_au (this is totally messed up)

When I also try to use the (Roxio Copy Program) it totally disables all of my drivers and I have to go into the F2 mode to turn all of them back on again.

4. DELL had tried to walk me through this but has totally messed up this part that I am going to describe here....

When I reboot my computer, I have to press the F1 button in order to get to the login page and to my desktop area. They had me turn on everything on the computer, but it did not turn off the having to press the F1 button to get out of the Bios, Amos, Phoenix mode.

Does anyone know how to correct any of this mess? I cannot even do a system restore at all on my computer either. It will not let me do anything like that at all. I do not have the disks to do a complete system restore as DELL keeps them and never ships them with anyones computers. I do not know what to do. I have tried everything. I have even tried reseting the drivers, and nothing is working at all for me.

I need this computer as I am a student doing Web Design / Multi Media and I have to work with Adobe Illustrator CS2, Adobe InDesign CS2, and also Dreamweaver 8 with Flash 8, and also Photoshop CS2. I am starting a brand new term on the 20th of March and will be needing to operate my new program on here called 3DS Max and all of its components.

I am using a DELL Dimension E310 with Windows XP media edition. I also have been using these two programs to date...

AVG Free and Registry Mechanic, and Spybot search and Destroy, to help me keep my computer clean. Does either one of these cause problems for the computers? I have noticed that they delete a lot of drivers etc... instead of fixing them only.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thank You so very much.

Signed; A very sad web design student / Lady. :cry:

Member Help2Go Moderator

is E: your dvd/cd drive?

If so (and if you feel comfortable editing the registry): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Partie™

Thank you so very much for all of your help and time on this matter.
    Yes, it is a cdrwdvd.

It was a code 39.

Member Help2Go Moderator

then check the link that i posted above and follow solution 1. that should get your cdrw working.

Partie™

Default Thanks

Ok, thank you so very much. I will get right on this matter.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Okay. I'm getting ready to go to bed now so if I don't respond in the next 20 minutes that means I'm zzzZZZzzz.

GOod luck.

Partie™

Member Help2Go Moderator

heh, just kidding. For some reason I skipped a whole paragraph of questions that you had .

All text in italics is my response to your questions.

When I also try to use the (Roxio Copy Program) it totally disables all of my drivers and I have to go into the F2 mode to turn all of them back on again. What is the F2 mode?

4. DELL had tried to walk me through this but has totally messed up this part that I am going to describe here....

When I reboot my computer, I have to press the F1 button in order to get to the login page and to my desktop area. They had me turn on everything on the computer, but it did not turn off the having to press the F1 button to get out of the Bios, Amos, Phoenix mode. Before pressing F1 to continue the boot process, write down the ALL the text that you see on the screen. There is an error being displayed and that's why you have to push F1 to continue. More than likely it has something to do with floppy seek since Dell does not put floppies in their computers anymore.

Does anyone know how to correct any of this mess? I cannot even do a system restore at all on my computer either. It will not let me do anything like that at all. I do not have the disks to do a complete system restore as DELL keeps them and never ships them with anyones computers. I do not know what to do. I have tried everything. I have even tried reseting the drivers, and nothing is working at all for me.

There should be a boot option to run a system restore. They do not send you the CDs to run a system restore because all files necessary to run the system restore should be on your hard drive as a hidden partition. As soon as you turn on your computer and you see the Dell logo displayed in the middle of your screen you should see something that says "press key to start system recovery" where key is an F key (like F9 or F10). Push that key to start the process. Also, you can request a copy of those restore CDs from Dell for roughly $30.00 to do a system restore. One thing to note though is that when they send you those recovery CDs they do not contain all the software the system came with. They only contain the Operating System (Windows) and the drivers needed for the software so if your computer came with Microsoft Office, you will lose that if you use those CDs to do a system restore.

Okay, now that's all for me now. It's way past my bedtime.

Partie™

What is the F2 mode?

The F2 Moded is going to take you into the Amos, Phoenix, Bios area of the computer where you will see the System, Drivers, Security, Maitenece, Passwords (administrators & users) service tag and Express tag numbers used etc....

Before pressing F1 to continue the boot process, write down the ALL the text that you see on the screen. There is an error being displayed and that's why you have to push F1 to continue. More than likely it has something to do with floppy seek since Dell does not put floppies in their computers anymore.

The problem that I had was the Floppy Diskette not available error showing,lol

Thanks for the information and all of the help here Partie. I greatly appreciated all of your help on this mess.
    Everything is working good again.

I also never knew that DELL stopped making the floppy disk drives in their towers. I miss that part since I use a lot of floppys to copy images and data from my computer onto those. Information that I do not want found by others. I hope to see them bring them back some day, but until then I gurss that I will continue to transfer the files from this computer to my other DELL 4700 series, and my other computer EMachines W3080,lol

Have a great night sleep.

Thank you once again for all of your help

Member Help2Go Moderator

I also never knew that DELL stopped making the floppy disk drives in their towers.
    It's not just them either. I know some newer Gateway models don't have floppy drives and I don't think they will bring them back either. Floppy drives are being replaced by other media like CD and USB flash drives.

Partie™