Default Alternative Browsers

Hello, Group !

Although I have really had no problems with using my IE6, I recently saw this page (http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20) at majorgeeks about good free software.

About half way down the page they have "better browsers" listed:

Maxthon, Avant, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera (without java).

What are your opinions on these ? I know FF is probably the most popular of those listed above, but is it better than the others ?

(I tried FF once and it opened v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. And Avant seemed to be somewhat dependent on IE, so would it have IE's vulnerabilities as well ?)

Thanks for your experienced input !

Scott

Hey scott, I would say it would be up to the user. Everyone will have their preference, (some like Chevy's, some like Ford for ex.) Every web browser you work with you'll find different things you'll like, and dislike. My opinion would be to try some of them out see how you like it. I was looking at a consumer poll, about them and they all seem to have some different opinions as well.
    Internet Explorer 7.0
    Most stable and developer-supported browser.

Firefox 2.0
    Best alternative web browser.

Opera 9
    Best cross-platform browser

I would reccomend you check out this article and see what you think.
    http://www.consumersearch.com/www/in...ews/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by billgates
    Hey scott, I would say it would be up to the user. Everyone will have their preference, (some like Chevy's, some like Ford for ex.) Every web browser you work with you'll find different things you'll like, and dislike. My opinion would be to try some of them out see how you like it. I was looking at a consumer poll, about them and they all seem to have some different opinions as well.

Thanks for the response and the link ! I skimmed it for now--I'll look at it more in depth in the morning.

One thing: I guess my main concern (which I didn't mention in my initial post) is security/safety. FF is always touted as superior to IE in that regard. I just didn't know where the other browsers I mentioned rank by comparison, since they are not generally discussed as much as FF is on the security issue. E.g. Avant seems to be dependent on IE somehow (and even uses the IE logo on its tabbed pages). So, would that make Avant less secure than FF ? (Not about Maxthon on this either.)

Thanks again !

Scott

I use Firefox for almost everything. My wife uses SeaMonkey (continuation of mozilla). That keeps us completely separated so that we don't mess with each others settings. That could be accomplished with separate profiles, but this works for us. I use Opera for all of my college work, again just to keep everything separate and easy to find. IE is only used when necessary.

I would recommend Firefox. Add the IE View extension which lets you switch to IE without starting over. Nice when you run into a page that doesn't want to work with Firefox.

Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator

Avant seems to be dependent on IE somehow (and even uses the IE logo on its tabbed pages). So, would that make Avant less secure than FF ? (Not about Maxthon on this either.)
    Taken from Avant's website:

http://www.avantbrowser.com/support....ant%20Browser?

Is Avant Browser a secure browser?

Yes, Avant Browser is secure. Since it's based on Internet Explorer, Avant Browser is as secure as Internet Explorer. Avant Browser supports all SSL secured websites. Avant Browser's encryption length is the same as Internet Explorer's

For a pretty good list of alternative web browsers check out this link:
    http://www.alternativebrowseralliance.com/
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

[quote="PartieHonteuse]

Thanks to PartieHonteuse, Charlie and Clark76 for their helpful comments !

Re: the above link: Thanks !

I notice in the page above there is this item:

Is Avant Browser a secure browser?

Yes, Avant Browser is secure. Since it's based on Internet Explorer, Avant Browser is as secure as Internet Explorer. Avant Browser supports all SSL secured websites. Avant Browser's encryption length is the same as Internet Explorer's.
    "As secure as IE." Aye, there's the rub !

Thanks for all the information !

Scott