Pej

Default Many web pages not loading.

hi,

I have a problem where many web sites won't load. i have a dsl connection and about half the pages i try to open get the "error this page cannot be displayed" message.

for example www.bmxonline.com will not load but www.strungout.com will.
    then there is www.youtube.com which will load the page but none of the videos will load.
    i am using internet explorer 7 but it is also doing the same with firefox.

any idea what it could be?

thanks.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

First read the answer in the "red box instead of picture" topic.
    Also check the security settings in IE.
    My guess would be your cache in IE is full or too small.
    Other causes can be virus scanners than insist on scanning every web page before is displays and low resources and/or memory. Press Ctl ALt Del keys together and look under Performance to see how much grunt your system has left.
    Also check for viruses and misbehaving browser add ons.
    There is a full tutorial on using hijackthis in the Tutorials section here.
    It may be time for some spring cleaning and housework as well.
    Again there are tutorials covering these areas.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Pej

i just downloaded some windows updates last week and it fixed this problem for the day. however when i restarted my computer the next day the problem was back.

i went to www.pcpitstop.com and had it test my system with everything coming up good except my internet, which i expected. it said my bandwidth and average ping were slow. it also said i could fix this by changing the registry but since that is pretty foreign to me, even though it didn't look hard, i thought i'd post something here first.

it also gave me a link to www.browsertune.com and during the second stage of testing it told me there was a problem reading array intensive scripts.

so i just thought i'd see if this helps diagnose the problem at all for you guys and if you could throw any ideas at me to how i could fix it.

i have another computer hooked up to the same internet connection with the same anti virus and firewall and it works great.
    i've also tried various cache sizes and it hasn't changed anything.

thanks for any help you can give me.