Default No sound in itunes and WMP

All of a sudden I no longer get sound from my music on itunes and Windows Media Player. It will not play from library or from a CD. The controls show it is playing, but there is no sound. I know my sound card is okay, it plays when I boot up. I've checked all the mute buttons and nothing is muted in control panel and in the programs. This is a real bummer, can someone help?
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Make sure power is getting to speakers and that speakers/headphone connections are in all the way. Update audio card driver.

1.) Make sure there is not another program that is using the sound at the time, that would prevent the player from accessing it. Close all programs, just leave open the player and see if this is the problem.

2.) Install the most recent drivers for your sound device, just in case some arent missing or corrupt.

3.) The Player may be using a version of Microsoft DirectX that is incompatible with the hardware features on your sound device. (This may explain why you can hear sound when you start the PC but not when you use the Player.) Install the most current version of DirectX by going to the DirectX Web page.

Worse comes to worse try, the Sound Device Troubleshooter by choosing Tools -> Options within Windows Media Player, then click "Speakers" on the Devices tab, then click Advanced, then choose the Hardware tab and choose Troubleshooting after you've selected your own particular hardware.

Default No Sound

Thank you so much, I checked and checked all the suggestions, everything was working properly. Had sound in other programs. Opened WMP and checked the tool bar, under play there is a volume setting, I opened it, and there it was the mute was checked also F8, apparently I inadvertantly hit F8 at some time and it muted in
    WMP. Gez. Well I'm jamming now. Thanks for all the help. You all are great!
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady