Default C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

I originally had the following error message when I was booting:
    C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt
    I used the suggestion offered by Mike E in tutorials.

Now it will start to load up but then automatially reboot before getting anywhere. I did try to restore to a new point but it won't let me (acess deny) every time I try. Even in safe mode won't work.

Thanks in advance
    Ken

You need to take the original windows disk insert it, and hit r for repair. This will replace the missing file(or corrupted one, and everthing should run fine again.)

Member Help2Go Moderator

Ken,

during startup, press F8 before the windows loading screen is displayed so you get the windows advanced boot options menu.

There, select "disable automatic restart on system failure" and go through the boot process. That should give you the error on screen so you know what's going on.

Partie™

Default What if I don't have the original startup disk?

I have the same error message on my computer (sony Vaio) but I don't have the original disk. I bought the computer from circuit city and it automatically came with Windows XP. Any suggestions?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Have you tried pressing F8 before the windows loading screen is displayed? If you have service pack 2 installed on this Vaio you have a good chance that "recovery console" is a boot option.

Partie™