Thread: Outlook Express

Default Outlook Express

I am running Windows XP SP/2 with Outlook Express 6.0.

I was wanting to edit/delete my signature in the options/signature/ tab. However as soon as I change anything in either the maintenance tab or signature tab and click Apply, Outlook shows "not responding" in Task Manager so I need to end task. I have closed Outlook, tried again, that did not work, so I rebooted with no improvement. Would someone solve this problem for me please? I have no other problems with Outlook Express, all is working well.

Thanks and kind regards,

PS. I forgot to say that each time I try this there is an identical process added to the processes running in Task Manager called drwtsn32.exe, I checked what this was and it is a Dr Watson Debug process!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi tallin,

Have you tried just checking the 'don't add signatures ... etc" box, does this stop your signature from appearing? You could try doing a repair to damaged files .. start> Run > type in sfc /scannow (note space between c and /) >OK. You may need your XP CD on hand.

Keep us posted.

Default Outlook Express

Thanks for your reply Canuck,

The signature does not appear on my emails, that is not the problem. The problem is when I want to edit the signature - when I click apply after I have done the editing that is when OE shows 'not repsonding' in Task Manager..............it just hangs.

I have run *sfc /scannow* which led me to a DYNAMIC UPDATE of Windows XP/SPE! But the sig error is still evident.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I'm not running OE tallin, so am not able to run through the program. I'll see if Partie can help on this. Hang in there, we'll find the answer :wink:

Default Outlook Express

Thanks Canuck,

Don't worry it is not a big thing, OE is running just fine if we never find the answer it will not be a crime!

Best regards,

Member Help2Go Moderator

What are you doing for the signature? Are you using plain text in the box or are you choosing "file" and then loading a file? If you're using a file, what extension is that file and what program did you use to write it?

Partieā„¢

Default Outlook Express

Hi PartieHonteuse,

I open Outlook Express/Tools/ signaturetab/
    signature settings are not enabled
    Signatures - there is my signature in that box, but if I highlight it and click 'remove' the program freezes and shows in Task Manager OE as 'not responding' so I end task.

Edit signature/text is enabled there is also a signature of mine in the box, but if I highlight it and click 'apply' OE again will freeze/not responding in task Manager so I have to end task again.

Each time I do this showing in taskmanager processes there is an entry drwtsn.exe which is a Dr Watson entry. I researched and found the following:

Application exception occurred:
    App: C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe (pid=3316)
    When: 17/03/2007 @ 10:23:23.171
    Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
    My error contains- (msimn.exe)---->next to

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258034

But, I am not happy going into the registry for such a minor problem nor am I happy creating a New Identity as if I make a mess of it, I will be in more trouble. Not having those signatures does not phase me at all.

I was really only searching around in the OE settings when I discovered the problem of 'not responding' in Task Manager when I touched anything to do with the signature tab. I have no other problems with OE

So unless you have a simple fix, please don't take much time on this. I thank you and Canuck for your effort here.

kind regards,

Default OE signature

Try this, take the check mark out of text, down there in the edit signature box, If apply shows clik on it , Now go back in tools/options and open the signature tab, see if you can clear the signature box now , The only check marks you should show is the one in "don't add signature to replies or forwards,"

Default Outlook Express

Thanks Rednek for your suggestion but I have tried that - OE still shows "not responding". The eyeglass just rolls over and over and nothing more would ever happen unless I 'end task' in taskmanager/applications.

As mentioned earlier it is not worth worrying about as I don't use the signature, Just maddening as I don't like being beaten with these problems.

Thanks again for your reply.

kind regards,