Default External hard drive recogntion issue

I have large external hard drive which I have alot of information on, I personaly assembled it buying a 3.5 inch hard drive with an external case it has worked flawlessly untill now.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136003
    I belive this is the exact drive.

The problem is here while moving my computer the hard drive tipped over on its side and began to make a clicking sound which it hasnt after tipping over, I turned it off and on several times after that to see if it would start normaly at first it begins spining as normal but after about 10 seconds it begins to make a clicking sound a few times and then it comes to a halt. My computer has failed to recognize that it was even conected at all other than the initial beep that you get when a new hardware installed.

I have lost hope at this time and belive my information is lost due to a broken hard drive, Because I have laptops primarily I cannot switch drives to do further inspection atm. I need a confirmation yes its gone to hell or theres something I can do. I also belive that it might just safety measure shock protection ( lock up ).

Either way if my information has been lost this should serve as a good reminder not to put all your eggs in the same basket .. or was it apples ?

Anyways thanks a bunch in advance to hear your responses.

''The sure sign of a mechanical problem is the clicking sound that you will hear from the hard drive when it is trying to spin up or spin down. If this click sound is coming, then the problem is related to mechanical trouble inside the hard disk platter assembly. This, more often than not is beyond repair. If a hard drive recovery expert claims it can be repaired, then make sure that is a "no data, no pay" agreement! ''

Wester digital offers data recovery on ther site do not know the parameters of what they offer ect.

Zep

So the problem is most likely a mechanical problem, well seems I will go make a trip to a high end repair shop and see if its possible to get it repaired I dont really care the cost but I wonder what are the chances it can be fixed and I agree entirely on what you said

Quote Originally Posted by zep
    ''"no data, no pay" agreement! ''
    thank you for a quick reply Zep

Better have "deep pockets" if you want the data recovered, possibly several hundred dollars.

I am surprised that the PC doesn't see it, even though it does not work.

Does the device manager see it ?

I also belive that it might just safety measure shock protection ( lock up ).
    Kind of doubt it. There are a few lap tops made that the HD is sensitive to a G force change and will instantly put the read/write head in the "park
    position"

Just as FYI here is a site that plays the clicking sounds that bad HD makes:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/knowt...c?OpenDocument

BG

I am willing go the extra mile to get it fixed, money is not an issue. You fail to understand that its not actually the C drive but an external drive which is held by a case such as this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392002

but checking the device manager had skiped my mind because the external drive did not register in the My Computer folder. Altho I doubt there is any gain by the drive being recognized in the device manager because its conected to the computer with a USB port. In the end it is a ordinary hard drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682 2136003

those are identical to mine both case/drive I know its a weird setup but its only for storage.

EDIT: As for the sound of dead drives it makes me frown only because altho the sound I hear is not the same it can be a varation from them. I did notice that the sound those dead drives makes sound like the needle is grinding accross the disk which I didnt hear in mine but like I said since all drives are made differently it may be just a variation in sound
    guess the only option I have is to go to a high end shop to be sure.

Thanks for the advice Basementgeek.

You may want to check out this article.
    http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/200...over-data.html

I have not personally tried this form of recovery, but the author of the article says he got 20 minutes of a working hard drive by freezing it for 24 hours (in a sealed plastic bag).
    Charlie

Good call Grim, I have heard of this also - nothing to loose Clipise.

BG

o.O ! :shock: :shock: :shock:

My first impression of shoving my drive in the freezer might be the same for the majority of my peers. I would leave that as a last resort but as doing that as a first option seems a bit harsh. I dont doubt it may work but that doesnt seem safe to do as the first objective is whats going thou my mind. 20 minutes seems long enough to get the most important documents backed up.

I must say very interesting technique, but first ill hunt a few good repair shops and see what they have to say if they can replace the damaged parts and what not, if not then I guess that there is little option left for me than to prep an ice box :roll: yet it seems that having an external drive is in my favor for this freezing teq.( my thoughts to further extend the life of the drive thu coldness has already been stated on said page )

BUT this is only as a last objective overall because it seems that the drive was done entirely w/o hope after doing this process (1-2 times ) but really thats good stuff.

One last thing that comes to mind THIS COULD BE YOU ONE DAY!
    strongly consider to have dual storage drives :P wish I did