Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Printer

Default Network Printer

Hello all
    I want to add a network printer to my old machine (Win 98SE)
    The printer is connected to my new machine (WinXPMCE)
    The computers are networked already. I can share files back and forth between the two computers using the "Shared Documents" folders found in "My Network Places"
    The printer is"Shared"
    BUT when I go to install network printer on the Win98 machine here is what happens:
    When asked for network path or queue name, I ckick "Browse". A new window opens with a file tree:
    - Network Neighbourhood
    __ - Entire Network
    ____ - The Matrix {this is my workgroup name}
    ______ + Alfa {this is the WinXP computer name}

When I click on the "+" next to Alfa the "+" just disapears and nothing else comes up
    also the "OK" button at the bottom of the window does not highlight
    Is there an other way to find the network path?
    or any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    The source of your information far outweighs the content
    ALPHA: Intel 915GAV P4, 2.93GHz, 1024MB DDR, 250GB SATA HD, WinXPMCE (KNOPPIX Live v5.1.1)
    BETA: HP Vectra VLi8 P3, 450MHz, 192MB SDRAM, 6.44GB IDE HD, Win98SE

I have to ask the simple question first to rule it out- Is the printer turned on when you are browsing for it? Charlie

Yes most definatly
    If only it was that simple
    ALPHA: Intel 915GAV P4, 2.93GHz, 1024MB DDR, 250GB SATA HD, WinXPMCE (KNOPPIX Live v5.1.1)

Not sure if this could be it, but is your printer name longer then 12 charcters, if so try something smaller, with no special characters.

Close but no cigar
    It was longer than 12 characters . I changed it to "Lex 2200"
    But still when I browse for Network path on the Win98 machine the little plus [+] sign dissapears next to the XP computers name and I can go no further. :?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Try disabling simple file sharing by opening "My Computer". On the top menu select "tools" then "folder options". There, click the "view" tab and scrolll to near the bottom and UNcheck "enable simple file sharing" to DISable it. Click "apply" button then "ok" button and restart computer. After restarting the Windows XP MCE computer restart the 98 machine and see if that takes care of it. You should at least get a username/password dialog box when trying to connect to that printer, when you do, type in a username/password that exists on the XP machine. Please note that XP doesn't like usernames iwth blank passwords over a network.

partieā„¢

Thanks partie
    I tried that, and I get the password dialog box, and it say :
    Resource: \\ALFA\IPC$
    Password:
    When I enter the password it says PASSWORD INCORRECT
    I tried changing the password just to see but that didnt help either
    My wife has a user account on the XP machine that is not password enabled ( and I think she wants to keep it that way. ) Do I need to add a password to her account?

Member Help2Go Moderator

have you by chance tried running the network setup wizard on the xp machine and then running it on teh 98 machine? There's quite a bit that has to be done.

Partie

I think Partie has got it. 98 and Me want a password to connect from the network. When you run the network setup, it will ask you to set a password for the 98 machine. As Partie said, run it on the XP machine first- go to NETWORK PLACES, then set up a home or small office network (make sure all computers and printers are turned on). When done it will give you an option to create a floppy disk with the network settings. You then put the floppy in the 98 machine and run the setup file. Your 98 machine should ask for password settings. Reboot, then give it a shot. Charlie

Ok
    Ive run the Network setup Wizzard, created the floppy setup disk, ran the setup program on the Win98 .
    It never asked for a pasword. Only a computer name (Beta) and a user group (THE MATRIX).
    When I try to add network printer and browse for the path, I'm still getting the message that my password is incorrect, (I tripple checked password, this is the password I use to log onto my XP computer right?).
    I was wondering, could it be a problem with my DSL modem/router
    (Siemans speedstreem 6520) Both computers are pluged into this device and I believe it also acts as a firewall. I have McAfee Security Suite on the XP, which includes a firewall, and Im pretty sure they are both active, but I've never had any issue with them together before.
    The Win98 machine has no firewall program on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast