Default C drive space .... wherre is it?

I am running Windows XP Media Center 2002 on my computer with a C drive of 13.9 gigs & a D drive of 129 gig. I also have attached an external K drive with 189 gigs to which I have moved ALL my documents, spreadsheets, photos and music files to try and recover some space on my C drive..... which currently only has 864 MB of space left! I have downloaded "Spacemonger" to try and get a clearer picture with little success. If you have any general suggestions I would appreciate the responses. Otherwise, 2 questions:

1) Windows XP Media Center is about a 1.5 gigs software but "Spacemonger" says it is using 4.4 gigs?????????
    2) Where can I learn which files I can remove from my computer & which ones are essential?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Download EasyCleaner 2.0 from here, http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm . Run the Registry utility and do a disk cleanup of your C drive, defragment (you may need to do this in Safe Mode) and reboot. Also delete any programs, files etc thart you no longer use (clean registry after deleting program(s) ).

The 1.5 gigs for XP is what it needs to install. However, it requires more space to function as it makes new files and moves info around. Are the C and D drive separate drives or are they 2 partitions on the same drive? If they are on the same drive, I would recommend repartitioning the drive to give XP at least 20GB, 30 would be even better. Otherwise you will always be fighting running out of space on the C drive. It is possible to repartition without reformatting, but I would suggest backing up everything you need to the external drive first. Tutorial here:
    http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Com...ormatting.html
    charlie

It sounds to me like your hdd has been partitioned into 2 drives. I would repartition it into 1 drive. Unless you have a reason for having 2 partitions.
    I LOVE MY COLTS!!
    First Regular Season game in Lucas Oil Stadium - Sept 7, 2008 - I need to be there
    I'm going to the super bowl!