Default Computer will not complete logon

I'm in need of some major help. I was trying to clean off a trojan I found on my computer (ntos.exe) and I think I got a little too aggressive in editing my registry. I removed the whole key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Userinit
    \userinit.exe,\ntos.exe,

and now my computer will not complete the login process. It boots up, gets to the background screen and then logs itself back off to the user login screen (which I dont want either since I am the only user of this machine).

Is there any way to recover from this? Thanks.

Have you tried booting in the safe mode and selecting the last known good configuration ?

BG

Yes I tried both of those. Still the same problem.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Follow the instructions here .. http://www.opentechsupport.net/forum...c/20552-1.html . The section you need is about half way down How to edit registry when I can't log in? Keep us posted.

So close....but no cigar. I think I dont have remote access activated on my computer so it wont let me get to my machine that way. I tried to access it from my wife's computer that is on the same network, but it would not open the network registry file and said something about making sure that remote access enabled.

I was able to fix this after a lot of frustration with access denied errors. Everything I tried to do was denied seemed like. However, I found a backup of the software portion of the registry from a couple of months ago (which was the part I sporked), went into DOS mode and copied that over the current file and then I was able to login completely and do a system restore. Thanks for your suggestions and support. I did learn a good bit more about my system in the process.