Default XP Boot Problems

I shut down my computer while it was installing automatic updates. Later, when I turned it back on, I found that it will go to the "logon" page, but none of the buttons are showing for me to select the user. In other words, the whole right side of the page is one big blank. In addition, if I try to go to the screen where I can tell it to boot in the safe mode, it does not let me scroll up to make any selections.
    HELP!!!

Not really sure what could be going on here, could'nt really find any information on it either. The only thing I can really think of is try to re-insert the original disk, and see if you can restore it. But I would hold out a little and see if someone else has a suggestion.

Try starting it in safe mode by tapping the F8 key during start up. Before it actually boots, you should be given the option to hit Y for safe mode or N for system restore. Hit N and go to system restore. Pick a date in bold type before you did the updates. Charlie

I tried going to safe mode. No matter which ones I try, I get to the login screen with nothing to click on for user. Unfortunately, I have hp restore disks which do not allow me to restore only the operating system. The only option is to do a full restore, which wipes out all the files. This is unacceptable, because my files are backed up on a Western digital external drive, using their supplies Retrospect software, which is a piece of crap. I have backed up a lot of stuff, but have never been able to get any of it out.

Member Help2Go Moderator

do you happen to know which updates they were?

Partie™

Default XP Boot problem

I am afraid I am one of the masses who let the system do automatic updates. I only know that they were 3 updates that were being installed last week. Anyway, I finally gave up and did a complete restore using the hp 6-cd set. I still have a few problems with restoring my backup, but think I have a handle on it.

Default dste13

If you are runnin Xp you should be able to go into windows explorer check all your update dates check out which ones do what and then uninstall the screwed up update, Also you can go into system tools clik on explorer (no add ons)and see if it runs good , if so open up manage add ons and go thru them one by one to find the culprit, Tedious maybe but you don't lose nuthin,

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

During boot up press the F8 key to access the boot menu (Check your documentation if this key does not work)
    At the menu choose "Start windows with the last known working .....)
    This should find an appropriate restore point when all was well.
    Alternatively boot into Safe Mode and navigate through Start> All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and choose a point when everything worked ok.
    Windows auto updates create a restore point each time an update is installed.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Not sure if you have ever used Windows 2000 but if you or anyone else ever comes across a problem like this again try pressing ctrl + alt + del twice when the logon screen comes up (even if it doesn't display your user list). That will bring up the old Windows 2000 logon screen where you had to type in a username and password to logon.

Partie™