Default Can't use e-mail after AVG update

My AVG free version needed an update but now i can't use my e-mail (Outlook Express). A message says

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mugworld', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Grezaldo, long time .. no see. Hope all is well. Try uninstalling AVG and see if it works. It may just be a glitch with AVG's e-mail scanner. After uninstalling, use a registry cleaner like ccleaner ( www.ccleaner.com ) , reboot, see if e-mail is working, if so try another download of AVG. Keep us posted.

Thanks Canuck. Yes it has been a while since i asked a question on here. I have done several computer courses so i don't need as much help nowadays, but i still get stuck sometimes. I deleted AVG and that solved the problem. I will use the registry cleaner then download it again and hopefully everything will be fine. Thanks for your help.

If the problem comes back when you re-download AVG here are a few suggestions you can try:
    Did you contact your ISP to make sure the problem isn't a server problem?
    Have you disabled mail scanning by your antivirus program?
    Have you increased your server timeout value and your send/receive interval?
    Have you enabled diagnostic logging to see what's happening between Outlook and your server?

Member Help2Go Moderator

I don't thin it's an ISP issue I think it's an AVG issue.

note the error code and stuff in bold:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mugworld', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

That specifically says that AVG is messing up somewhere.

Here's grisoft's response: http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?3,31751,sv=